Stay at home Moms.... Please tell me how you are able to stay home if you dont think u can afford it... I really need to find a way

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 1:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It def would help to make extra money on my own. However if i worked id basically be working to pay for daycare. Its so expensive that it seems that itd be a waste of time and money. Once my dd goes to preschool I will go back to work
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Well you have to look at where your money goes. With me and my husband we realized like above all my pay check would pay was daycare, nothing extra, not to mention how much more we would pay in gas if I were driving to work too. The best thing I can suggest is try to live without your income and see if you can, and that will let you know if you working is a nessesity or not.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm a SAHM and I have to admit that money is tight now. My DH has lost his overtime and it's really affected us financially. But I have a 14 month old and a child with autism, so working outside the home is really out of the question due to therapies and the cost of all day daycare around here! I think you just have to look at your expenses, and make cuts. Or perhaps find something to do at home (which I wish you much luck here, and use caution! There are so many scams out there to prey on those of us who want to work and be home). It's tough, but doable. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm a SAHM and money has always been tight, especially with dh going to school. As another mom said you need to maybe cut back on things, etc. It would cost more to work for daycare and gas, then add on the emotional costs. You can try out some different home businesses, but the ones I've found work the best, are watching a kid or two in your home, or housecleaning for someone, maybe dog sitting. Even lawn mowing, or snow shoveling each season can bring in a little extra.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 2:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We have a very tight budget! Plus my DH is able to snag overtime. Down side is that he works 48-60 hrs. a week.... but at least one of us is home all day with the kids.
    Mom2jngnc

Answer by Mom2jngnc at 2:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I am a SAHM and DH makes around $50,000 a year. We made a decision that me staying home was more important to us then eating out, buying new clothes, and all those little extras. Money is always tight but we aren't poor either. In order for me to be a SAHM I make saccrifices in other areas, going longer in between haircuts, dying my hair at home instead of in the salon, packing picnics for day trips instead of buying overpriced food at places. It's doable so long as you know what is important and what isn't.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 2:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I learned to sew so that I could make my clothes and my children's clothing. Today, you could probably do just as well to go to yard sales and Goodwill. I clipped coupons for food and grocery items and shopped sales and planned menus around what I found on sale. I cooked from scratch rather than buying the more expensive prepared food. We raised a garden and put up vegetables in the summertime to cut grocery costs. We did not take vacations or go anywhere that cost money. We tithed to our church the whole time, raised 3 children who all went to college with no debt, and today we are debt free. Praise the Lord!!! He made it all possible.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We sold our house so that I could stay home. We are now renting and living off of DH's income combined with the equity that we earned on the sale of our home. We figure that it will last us at least 4 years. We also decided that things like boats, expensive vacations, and new vehicles would just have to wait until our son was old enough for school when I am able to go back to work. We didn't look at it as a choice but as an obligation and a sacrifice.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• All I can say is budget, you can actually live on very little if you wanted to. Only shop the sales at the grocery store. You can get excellent clothes at yard sales and thrift shops. I have gotten excellent deals at the mall on namebrand clothes. Cut back on electricity and gas, and for actual gas on your vehicles stay at home as much as possible or walk if u can. I live out of town and only try to go to town once or twice a week. Don't eat out, too much money goes down the drain for that. Weekends we just stay at home or go to a friends and hang out, u don't have to spend money to have a good time
    cherbear3317

Answer by cherbear3317 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I worked two days a week doing Pure ROmance Parties which bought in extra money and each party lasted 2-3hrs with a $700 a party. I cut back on entertainment ie eating out movies etc. I bought food and supplies in BULK from SAMS CLUB and COSTCO. I clipped coupons and shopped around for everything.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 12:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008