Are their any grants, low interest loans they can take out for college? I have 3 children..6th, 7th and 8th grade.

I will help them later when they have loans to pay back. I make good money, but not enough to send all 3 to school. I firmly believe in an eduation. I have a masters plus.....Any ideas? SO far I have introduced the idea of Coast Guard, Navy and or Air Force as an option. Any ideas to place my mind at rest? I know this is early, but I am concerned. My divorce was very expensive...Their father has stated he will not pay for college.

Keri1969

Asked by Keri1969 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• First of all, the military is NEVER an option unless they are passionate about joining. Never use the military as a means to pay for college, because there is a lot more involved in the military then just a free education.

College in itself should only be for those who have a passion in something. That they want to expand on and turn into a career. College just to go to college is pointless and a waste of money. If your degree doesn't amount to something in the end then there's absolutely no point in it. Your college should lead you into the career that you studied for. Period.

Fastweb.com is a great resource for different scholarships they can apply for. The government also offers different scholarships and grants that they may qualify for. The school they choose can also help them in finding scholarships, loans, and other resources to help pay for college as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I was going to answer the same as Jazz. My oldest is Capt. but this was his hearts desire since he was 10.He attended a university that had an official run by the military branch.They offered to pay his way from the start,he was top 10%,we turned them down till he signed his contract in his soph year.He has lots of military friends from college....officers the safe ones....yea tell that to the families of the two friends funerals I have attended since 12-07.The nitty gritty of deployment would make your blood run cold.So unless military is their dream of life find any other way .I support ,love,and have pride in my son and all the military but it should not be used for strictly paying for college I have friends that have gone the loan and split with the kid pay back route.Three have graduated and are happy.One loan allows you to pay interest only while in school (you?) and that reduces back pay by 1/4.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When the time comes work closely with the school's guidance department and apply for financial aid. Also do research for scholarships. There are good books out there that list many scholarships. Browse at a good book store. I listen to a finance show on Sunday mornings and they recommend going to state schools. There are tremendous state schools to pick from. Plus they are always making the point that some state schools will accept students from other states, at in-state tuition, if the schools in the student's state do not offer the program he wants to study. You'd have to do your research on that.

Don't forget there are great technical schools out there too if your kids' passions do not require a college degree. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes there are, you just need to research for one that fits them. But since they are small, your best bet is to get them to do their best so they can get a scholarship.

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• UGH! I just typed out a long response, then lost it!!! Anyway, what I was saying was that you still have time to save, and save a lot. Loans are only a burden, they are not the answer. You just have to make it a priority and get the kids on board too. You need a good solid plan for it to work. Check out this article from Dave Ramsey.

(continued)
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• (continued)

Ideas to get started:

-Tour your local State University with all your kids and get the cost of tuition, books, room and board, for one year. Have a great time!

-Take that number and divide it by the # of months until you need to pay for the first year of school. That is the minimum you should be saving for that child each month.

-Allow your kids to earn an allowance and designate a portion of that to saving for college. Allow them to work: babysitting, yard work, washing cars, etc. for neighbors until they can get a real job.

--Check out the scholarships offered through the local university. Translate those amounts into hours worked so that you children understand that they are essentially getting paid to study and get good grades in highschool.

--Keep in mind that student loans are dangerous. They lure you in with low interest rates and deferrement, but after..

squish

Answer by squish at 1:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ...that phase is over, they can and will hike up your rates (happened to me). Plus, the minimum payment is designed to not really cover the cost of the loan, so you end up paying even more interest. In addition, if you ever default on the loans, they will garnish your wadges, and you cannot include them in bankruptcy. You are stuck with them.

-Most importantll, BE ENCOURAGED!! You have lots of time to plan for this and save. The more you can get your children motivated, the better. The best way to do that is to have a workable plan. Like I mentioned before, Dave Ramsey has a great outlook on how to get your money to work for you.

squish

Answer by squish at 1:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010