Hair color balancing question

Back story: I'd been coloring my hair reddish-brown (5RB) for about seven months using Goldwell (not a fan) and decided early this year to go back to my natural hair color (about a 9GB). I know that this is a difference of 4 levels, but I was impatient and bleached it three times in three weeks. Of course, my hair is fried. If I'd been patient, I'd have done it once a month for three months at the very least. This was back in March and my hair has been trimmed quite a bit in the last several months to cut off the fried/damaged ends.

The third bleaching turned my hair horrifying colors. We rushed to the local beauty supply store, picking up three tubes of CHI IONIC Cafe Mocha to fill in and cover the terrible colors my hair had become. My hair looked so much better after applying the Cafe Mocha.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 11:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• What is best to do is color your hair a little darker then your natural color that way it will cover what was bleached and also it will fade a little bit so it will blend more with your natural color.....Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:45 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Are you a licensed professional? Those are all professional colors you are using. I'm not sure you are understanding how color works. First off, as a professional, you will never get back to your natural until you cut the orange part off. No color will match that light without a line o demarctation. You used a color with a red base and are trying to counteract it with with a gold base (yellow) so back to school here, what does yellow and red make? LOL
    The hair is way too damaged to do anything else to, except color it all one color again with a brown that has no red or gold base in it. Don't go by some color name the company made up go by the base, learn the law of color. No disrespect, but I really don't think you have any clue what you have done to your hair. It makes me lightheaded just reading on and on. Sometimes you pay more when you try to do things yourself.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• what does yellow and red make? LOL--

heeheehee..i was thinking the same thing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Several months later (now) my outgrowth is very apparent. It's my natural color and healthy. The colored ends look like a faded orange (if you can see the color from my profile picture; if not, I can supply a better one in the comments).

What bleach or color should I use to get it to my natural color (or damn close to it?)
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• go to a professional
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Are you a licensed professional?
    ---
    Graduated student. My school used Goldwell and I was able to purchase items at the state beauty supply store using my student papers. I know that there is no fixing damaged hair. I know that the only way to attempt to fix damaged hair is to cut it all off. My hair is super short now; I'm getting my hair trimmed every 3-6 weeks to cut off more of the orange.

And, I DO know what I'm doing. I graduated near the top of my class, I just haven't had any practice recently (read: no money to take my boards yet). My vision sees the cooler tones to color, so my color is off and I haven't been able to compensate for it yet.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Well if you know what you are doing why did you do what you did to begin with to completly trash your hair, and ask us for help? Seriously. They have rankings at your school?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Because I was impatient.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Sorry hon, but I trained for Regis Corp, and am an I* Color educator, if you understood color you wouldn't have chosen the color base you did, to go four levels lighter to begin with. You would know that during a corrective color you can actually bleach twice in one day if you apply properly. If I waited three months to do that much I'd never have customers. This is not about patience. Beauty school and real life stylists are two very different things. You'll see what I mean when you are out there.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Jesus. What a bitch.
    BigMommaJesca

Answer by BigMommaJesca at 10:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010