How do I get my son to...

start using a fork and spoon? He wants nothing to do with them and I am going to my grandmas soon to visit and she dosnt have a high chair that I can use for him so he needs to be able to use them...What should I do? If i give them to him he just throws them on the floor! HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would either bring your highchair or buy a booster type seat to attach to a dining room chair. Also, try buying him a "special fork and spoon" just for him. And make him earn them somehow like a prize and tell him he only gets to use them if he's good. If he thinks thy are special, he'll want to use them.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 4:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Use them in front of him. A lot of children learn best by mimicing their parents. Just keep encouraging him to use them.
    You can get a travel high chair and he will still be able to use his hands. Just put him in the kitchen if he's a mess maker.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• nothing like a crash course in knife and fork handling!!! Bring your highchair with u!!!! It is unrealistic to expect your child to catch on in a short time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have to agree with JazzlikeMraz. And the portable high chairs were a lifesaver to us when we went on vacation or out for the weekend. I strongly recommend one. They can attach to any kitchen chair to make a high chair. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There is no miraculous trick. He will do it eventually, but it might not happen by grandma's trip. Can you get the kind of seat that latches to the table? Or just bring yours if you are driving.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You can always put him in his stroller to keep him in one place.
    1andcounting

Answer by 1andcounting at 1:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Get a portable baby seat too, they fold up and easy to move around with. I think they run about 25-30 bucks at walmart.
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 1:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• or if you have a used child store like Once Upon a Child..I bought my booster seat there for $8!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I dont have the money to get a portable high chair and even if i could aford the seat I wont be able to have it sent to my grandmas house because I am flying there. I have to bring very min. stuff to begin with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010