More resume help, please?

How far back should I list my education? I returned to school last year and finished my degree program earlier this year. Before that, last time I attended school was 1993 (or 1995--can't remember, heh). Is it necessary to list those dates? I don't want to have to call the schools for the dates if it's not necessary to include them.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Hello there.  I work in Human Resources and we only verify completed education that is listed on a resume.  If you are currently in the process of completing your degree and you want to include that you can put the college and "in process/currently attending" some verbiage of that sort, or if you have completed some college I've seen it presented as

State College

Coursework Completed towards Business Degree

As someone else stated putting dates on your resume is a way to lead to age discrimation.  You can list "high school diploma" or "GED" on your resume, but again without dates if that is all the education you have completed.

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 11:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's good to have any and all educational history on your resume. The more schooling you have, the better it looks for you. I always list mine all the way back to high school.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You can always list just the years and months attended. Such as I attended high school up till 2004 when I graduated and I always list something like: Aug 2000 - May 2004.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I recently attended a career workshop and they suggested never to list high shool on your resume. Just colleges attended and years for that.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 12:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Personally, I think you just need to list your degree and when you earned it. It's not necessary to list how long you were in school. For example

Some University
    Associates Degree in Some Major, January 2010

They don't care all of the education you have in the past unless you got a degree. And once you get a post-high school degree, you don't have to list it on your resume either. It'll ask on your application and that's enough. A resume is a HIGHLIGHT of your acehievement and experience, not a whole list.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 12:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Actually, all you need is the year you graduated, the degree and what it's in. You only need to include your work history for the past 10 years. You can lump the older jobs together into categories if nessessary. If your degree was over 10 years ago, you don't even need to include the year. That way you're not a victim of age discrimination.

If you need some resume templates, check out resumetamplates.org.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hi there. I do career and job search coaching, and I will be happy to help you with your resume (I never charge CafeMoms for my services.

Never list the dates of your education; they are irrelevant and can lead to age discrimination.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hmm, looks like I'll be making some phone calls then.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• SherriPie - Thank you, that sounds much better. I can't remember the specific dates that I went to my previous colleges, and being that it was so long ago I'd hate to list a big gap like that.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Thanks HotMama330, I'll check those out when I get home.

I got my degree this year after I returned to school last year (after a 15 year gap). I was a little afraid of trying to explain how I got a degree after 6 months, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010