Why do kids have to say the Pledge at school?

no one else does. We don't doing it at work or in college or anywhere else, just as children..at school. Why?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in

• I am patriotic as hell. I also think patriotism is something you should feel and it doesn't have to be broadcast to be felt. I think a lot people bleat about being patriotic because it's expected or popular, but don't actually FEEL it.

That said, I disagree with indoctrinating kids to SAY the pledge every morning. One, they don't understand fully what they are committing themselves to - an alliance to a gov't. Second, by the time they ARE old enough to comprehend, the pledge has become just "something they say" and they have lost the MEANING of it.

I say it. I leave out the "under God" because it was ADDED to the pledge in the 50's to root out Communists. I think it's silly and presumputous. Are we assuming every other country is NOT "under God"? But that's because I understand what I'm saying and the power of the words and what they stand for. When I say it, I MEAN it. I expect no less from anyone else.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• They don't HAVE to say it. I never did. They always have the option of simply being quiet and respectful.

Now, that said, having children say the pledge daily is a way to help breed patriotism from a young age. Children can't vote, they don't pay attention to the wars or other political issues, but this taps them in to a form of governmental loyalty they can be a part of...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i dont think it is a waste of time. I think we should be loyal to our country and all kids should know the pledge by heart and what better way to practice it! We should appreciate our freedoms. I dont understand why people wont say the pledge.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• some classrooms stopped because those that opted out were being targeting for bullying.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I was one of those that just stood quietly. I didn't understand why we had to do it, either. Seemed like something we just did and forgot about. Wasta time.
    Anonymous

• They don't have to say it, they can stand their quietly. It's about being grateful for the FREEDOM that we have in the US, it's about being patriotic. Keep "in God we trust" as the US was founded on religious freedom. If you don't belief in what the Pledge stands for, then don't say it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010