HELP! My 5 yr old is so afraid to poop in the toilet! I have tried everything. Any suggestions?

I have gotten it now to where she will put a pull-up on and then sit on the toilet and she is doing good with that. I cut a hole in a pull-up once and it went in the toilet. She was so excited! I thought that would be it she knew nothing was going to happen to her. But NO. HELP.

LVHOPE

Asked by LVHOPE at 1:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe try the little potty chairs. IDK the toilet is kinda scary.

maybe don't flush until she's off the toilet and out of the room. My son hated the sound of the flush
    Anonymous

• The hole in the pull up is absolutely the way to go, especially since it worked once. The key is that every few days, you cut the hole a little bigger...eventually eliminating the back of the pull up all together. Once the back is gone, you can start letting her try it with the pull up pulled slightly down (thigh level..and so on)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• my son was just like that i didnt know how why he was afraid to poop in the toilet but i now know why he was afraid to poop that is a big step for them it is like for them it is part of their body they think part of their body is leaving them. so maybe if she see you poop in the toilet she will think my mommy poops in the toilet so i want to try that to or you can have her wear a pull-up and if she does poop in the pull-up then let her stay in it for 5 mins then she will think my mommy is not going to change me if i dont poop in the toilet then she is not going to want to poop in the pull-up cause it feels weird to her . that is what i did to my son
    Ladymama8o8

Answer by Ladymama8o8 at 5:16 AM on Oct. 29, 2008