good idea or too mean?

I had a thought.... my child's room is a total mess, I have asked him to clean it and it doesnt seem a priority. I have said well then you can stay in until it is clean.... still not a priority. So.... is it too mean to post a photo on his facebook and say "hey son, I think it is time to clean your room"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe a little over the top!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• personally what I did was get a trash can and a snow shovel, put it by their room door and told them they have 24 hours to get it clean up off the floor and bed, the rest will be shovelled into the trash can for trash day on Monday. Then I leave the can and shovel there in plain sight as a reminder.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• How about if you just take away his phone/computer privileges until it's done? Then you won't need to embarrass him on FB and he wouldn't see it anyways if you take away his privileges.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• take away his video games and tell him that he can have them back when he cleans his room or don't let him go anywhere until his room is cleaned.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't think I would do that. You could be setting him up to be bullied or made fun of at school, which is no good for his self image. Try some incentive instead. Tell him if he cleans his room spotless and keeps it that way for a month, you will buy him something he's been wanting for a while(or just a certain amount of money). ?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• LMBO... I should PAY him to clean his room??? WTH???? Are you kidding??? Do I get PAID to cook and clean. Sorry but that is nuts!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Well, theoretically allowances teach children that their is a value to hard work. I don't think it's so nuts to teach kids a good work ethic. If you give him allowance and he doesn't do the work, take the allowance away.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• ok... too mean... but the idea did make me smile!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would Just tell him that if his belongings mean that little to him you will throw them out... if he tests that theory then do it.. He will learn to pick them up I don't think posting a pic on his fb would be a good idea seeing as how kids are so mean he will be teased and bullied for sure.. also the idea of paying him is not so bad well of sorts if you already give him an allowance tell him that he will not be getting it till his room is clean if not then start work out an amount that wont set you back to far and tell him that if he keeps his room clean to your standards that at the end of the month he can get so much money... it's a good way to get him to keep his room clean and teach him the value of earning a buck good luck
    pinkangel79

Answer by pinkangel79 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I love that, I think its a great solution :0)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010