Dirty Santa rules??

I want to have a stress-free holiday season so I;m planning a potluck type dinner for all the family at my house and NOT exchanging gifts. It's too much money and stress to try to buy for everyone. Instead, I want to have everyone just buy one present wrapped and play "Dirty Santa." I remember the basics of the game such as all the gifts go into a pile and you take turns choosing one and deciding whether you want to keep the one you choose. But does anyone know all the rules?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• problem being we aren't the only ones running the show and aren't in complete control of how everyone wants to celebrate Xmas. I'd google it, to answer your question.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Is it the game where you pick a gift and then the next person can either take your gift or a new gift? I don't remember how to decide who goes first....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• draw numbers. Whoever has #1 picks a gift off table. Then #2 can either steal the gift or pick one off the table. Whoever loses a gift from it being stolen can then pick a new gift. When the next # goes they can steal any of the already open gifts.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• another game that is fun is to have eveyone bring a gift and sit in a circle. Read a christmas story (anyone you like) and have 2 words the people are listening for. Maybe everytime you say Santa you pass to the right and everytime you say another word you pass to the left. At the end of the story you unwrap whatever gift you are left with.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Zoeyis, I don't understand your point? If they don't want to participate or want to celebrate Christmas in a different way they don't have to come to my party. lol I'm just inviting and letting ppl decide if they want to participate.
    Skittles1108, Yeah! It's that game and it's really fun. I remember doing it years ago at a work party, but that was forever ago. I don't remember who goes first either and I don't remember how it ends really either... I mean what happens to the last person? Do they get to choose and that's it or what? lol
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• ria7, grreat idea! I LOVE it! :)
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My family used to do this, but they called it a Yankee Swap. You might have more luck googling that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010