Breastfeeding help---sore nipples.

We had a few rough first days of breastfeeding my newborn. My nipples got extremely raw & are now kind of scabbed over, but I can't get them healed completely because I am still nursing. My baby is now latching on correctly and it only hurts when he first begins to suck because of the sores, but I need advice on how I can get them healed while still nursing my son... The pain is so bad at first that I seriously feel like I might vomit, and even if my nipples are lightly brushed up against, it hurts. I really need them to heal quickly.

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 12:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know it sounds super weird, but after you are done nursing, express a few drops of milk and put it on your nipples, then let them "air out" for a few..... I got bit more than my fair share of times and the milk helped better than any cream or lotion out there
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• ^That...LOL Perfect solution from peanutsmommy
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Also, lansinoh. You can "wet heal" by keeping the sores moist and protected.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I had this too. I would pump. Then feed with a bottle. I nursed when I could, but when the pain was unbearable, I gave a bottle. This really worked for me because my kids got used to going from breast to bottle, no problem. I went back to work and their were no issues. Don't worry though, the first 2 weeks are the worst. It does get better. Do whatever you have to to just get through this very hard period.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I disagree with mompam. Pumping only works by suction, so it will only make the pain and the healing worse.
    I definitely agree about rubbing the drops of milk on your nipples. Milk has antibiotic properties that will help keep your nipples from getting infected. Lanolin cream (Lansinoh) will help keep them from getting chapped. You can also try breast shells (different from nipple shields) in your bra to let the air get to your nipples so they can heal. Be sure to get the ones with holes to allow air flow.
    Keep nursing! You may have some pain when he first latches- that's just because he's aggressively trying to get on and get the milk to come out. As long as it goes away after a minute or two, he's on properly. This will subside some with time, of course, once your nipples have healed more. Healing will be a slow process, because you're using your nipples, but it will happen. Be patient! Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• feel for you get a cream for that Lansinoh is a good product and loved their breast pads also, it will get better & GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When this happened to me, I would pump and feed baby from the bottle. It saved my nipples a little.
    Anonymous