Oh-li oh-li oten-day, oh-li oh-li day-oh, oh-li oh-li oten-day.. POOPING IN THE TOILET!

Uh, my SS is autistic (as many of you know, but this is an important point) he is almost five and close to FINALLY being potty trained. An autistic specialist suggested that to get Elijah to actually go poop in the potty and to initiate his own trips to pee in the potty that we stop with the diapers and pull-ups all together and just have him in underwear.

Well... have any of you ever done that? Won't that get uber messy? I can handle cleaning up urine, but poop all over the place.... yucky!

Any other... cleaner suggestions? I will try anything! Except free ballin' it like the specialist suggests.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• Try underwear with pull ups over them. The child can feel his mistakes and they are easier to clean. Then just dunk the undies in the toilet to get the poop off and wash with bleach (color-safe)
    Anonymous

• My Autistic son was urine trained thankfully at 3, but bowel training didn't finish 100% until 6 years old. We used pullups, which helped a great deal, but my son has a lazy streak too and it was intersting getting him away from the diapers. Hopefully you won't have that issue though.

If feces bothers you, then you might think about using gloves. That does help. My son used to finger paint on the bathroom walls with it, YUCK, which I'm finding is common. He's still very bad at that, even at 13, but thankfully it's eased up a great deal.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 2:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008