Do you take nerve pills or pain pills?

How many moms take nerve pills such as xzanax,adavan,valum ...etc or pain pills like darvocet,percocet,vicodin .... etc daily or while watching your kids. I do take adavan and percocet and I was just wondering how many other moms do? I have back problems and anxiety also and I am prescribed these meds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am prescribed vicodin for some of my more severe pregnancy pains. I refuse to take them while watching my step son. I am sure that if I took it more often and was used to the side effects then I would not have a problem doing so but at this point I am not since I rarely take it.

I also have a prescription for clonazepam for anxiety. I have not taken it since I was pregnant, however, I also could not take it while watching my SS because of the side effects and I took that regularly.

I think you are the best judge of your side effects and if you feel safe with your children or not. People handle medications differently. Me... I am a light weight.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• if you watch celebrity rehab- they took those away,,, especially adavan... said it killed kieth ledger, dont take too much! lol but if you need it and your doc writes it for you fine... i teach and a girl a week ago was having a bad day, she threw herself on the floor and yelled "I NEED A PILL!" lol make sure your kids dont know too much! i take zoloft myself so no judegement!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't take it daily but I did have to take hydrocodone for a few days. I didn't think it was a big deal, it did make me sick to my stomach for a short while right after taking it. I didn't feel like it was dangerous to my kids, and they didn't even notice.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A perc a day keeps the pain away...I have valium too but it makes me sleepy the next day so maybe on a friday night when there is no soccer or whatever Sat am...
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• yes, hydrocodone, two every four hours and it did not inhibit me from taking care of my children-instead of making me tired it makes me more alert and hyper. i did have to take muscle relaxers for a while because i hurt my back and i could do nothing but sleep for 4 days straight.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 2:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I try not to take those types of drugs. I have seen too many people become addicted and I'm scaredc to take them . I do occasionally take a valium if I am totally stressed out. I take Lyrica daily, and the side effects were bad the first week or so, but now I feel fine. My SIL takes about all the meds you mentioned everyday, and she is raising her 4 year old granddaughter. She is fine, but if I took half of what she did, I'd pass out!! I think you just have to know how things effect you.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2008