Increasing Milk Supply.

I'm trying to increase my milk supply for my 5 month old. I have to have a procedure done next week and I have to bottle feed for 3 days. I have enough for 1.5 days right now. I have been eating oatmeal. Pump or nursing every 4 hours at max. Drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Any other tricks?

Britters_37

Asked by Britters_37 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump after you nurse, even if you're not getting much.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• mothers milk tea, protein drinks (i do herbalife drinks but special k work too) blessed thistle 3pills 3xday, fenugreek pills 3pills 3xday! pump right after u nurse so ur body knows u need to make more!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Fenugreek, oatmeal and mother's milk tea are the best things you can take. Other than that, pump, pump pump. Good for you for pumping instead of FF!! You can do this! =) I hope everything goes okay with your surgery!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Double check that you will need to bottlefeed for 3 days. For MOST surgeries and procedures you can nurse as soon as you are awake (or pump). Don't ask the doctors or anyone like that, they don't know and when they don't knowm they just say no. Check kellymom, ask on here or check Dr Hales book... or all three! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm having a colonoscopy. Anyone know how many days I shouldn't be nursing for that?
    Britters_37

Comment by Britters_37 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Try to offer the breast more times through out the day to the baby the more they suck the more milk supply
    Ladypurple

Answer by Ladypurple at 3:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You should be fine to nurse the day after the procedure.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 4:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Colonoscopy>? You can nurse when you're no longer groggy. Zero DAYS... more like a couple of hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You can nurse right before you go and as soon as you get home with a colonoscopy! As soon as you are alert enough to hold your baby, the meds are out enough to nurse. I had one when my DS was 4 months old and I only needed one bottle for him to have while I was gone.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you can nurse once you are awake and alert. Is it the anesthesia that you are worried about? If so, yes, safe to nurse once you are awake. If it's another med, let us know what it is, but it is likely safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2010