Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Should I agree to his suggestions for child custody/support?

We are working on getting our parenting plan filed with the courts. I had it written up that he wold have him everyother weekend for a few hours on Saturday and a few hours on Sunday (as he rents a room in his aunt's basement, I don't want him there overnight). Overnights would begin at age 2, where he'd have him every other weekend Saturday morning until Sunday evening (he doesn't want him Fridays due to his work schedule). At age 2 he'd also get him for 2 nonconsecutive weeks every summer. The holidays are split 50/50 and rotate each year.

He told me he would agree to this plan as I had it written if I moved the date overnights to age 1 and didn't leave the child support up to the state but would agree to accept $200 a month (this doesn't include paying for any of the medical, and I currently have over $2000 in outstanding medical bills).


Asked by EverydayMomma at 1:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 17 (3,387 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Honestly, if it were me, unless I did not feel like my child would be safe (and you have not indicated that was the case), then I would agree to the overnights starting at 1. However, I would tell him child support was up to neither him nor I, that it would be set by the state, and all medical (current, past & future) should be split according to your income level, as well as the cost of insurance (medical, dental & vision) for your child, and any copays.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Yeah no. What state are you in? Is he employed full time? Find a child support calculator online and it will give you an estimate of what you should get in CS. I would not agree to overnights at 12 months but I would compromise to do it at 18 months. You need to spell out specific times and dates for the holiday schedule. Also with the CS he needs to be resposible for HALF of the cost for our of pocket expenses and you both need to carry him on insurance unless you can agree to 1/2 of that cost per months also.

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Again, I say just go through the courts. Let them decide the monetary issue - and see if you guys can work out a deal with the overnights. I do think 12 months is too young for overnight stays, but if you can compromise on 18 months, perhaps, and you're still getting enough $. Kids are expensive and $200 a month doesn't cover diddly.

    Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Well, are you comfortable on $200 a month? I understand that's next to nothing but how is his income compared to yours? One of you legally has to supply the medical insurance as well. My husband, for example, has 3 kids prior to me. And he pays child support for them plus supplies the medical, dental and vision insurance - and we see them every other weekend from friday night through sunday night. Definitely going through the courts is the easiest way - letting the judge decide, to be honest. You may end up getting more PLUS the insurance.

    Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I think he should get more visitation and leave the CS up to the court. And overnights would be good at 1 year old.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I would agree with the overnights but leave the child support up to the court. $200 a month is not much at all.

    Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • We live in Missouri. Our income levels are comparable. I did a calculator on the internet that said it was about $400 that he would owe me. However, I don't know his income for sure, and he won't tell me.

    Comment by EverydayMomma (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I would never agree to $200 a month. Kids are expensive!

    Answer by Erin814 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I would not agree to overnights at 12 months. That's entirely too young. Unfortunately, a judge might not agree, so if you go through the court they may force overnights sooner. So... do you want to wait on overnights more than you need more financial help? Depends on what is important to you.

    Answer by LeanneC at 1:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I would ask for the $400 then, not $200, if you dont want to go through the courts, make sure everything is documented and have it notarized (sp?). Make sure its all laid out to the T so there is no misunderstandings later one. I would even make a calender of the next two years, of dates he is going to have your child and times for pick up and drop off.


    Answer by ThaSs at 1:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010