What are the Methodist views on LGBT?

My husband wants me to join a methodist church, but i am used to the O&A Prodistant churches.. its important to me that a church not judge

KKline

Asked by KKline at 1:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dunno but I have yet to find a church that openly accepts transgender individuals because they claim the person is altering God's work.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• United Methodist Church does support the inclusion of homosexuals in the congregation, and homosexuals can take part in sacraments and programs. However, the UMC does state that "the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching," so the church does not allow homosexuals to become ordained ministers. The UMC will not conduct homosexual marriages and will not allow them to be held in their churches.

I'm not sure about the Free Methodist Church...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• O&A churches do.. our believe is that you are all gods children, and no matter where you are on your path to life you deserve a place in our church. If you are looking for one go to UCC.com and seek out the O&A churches, we actually have a transgendered member of mine, her name is april, she is a lovely person, blind, and has a sweet seeing eye dog, we always sit her right up front
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yea.. my friend was talking about the free methodist churches.. what is that exactly?
    KKline

• What is O&A? Anyway, I don't know about Methodists, but I am pretty sure the Episcopal church accepts transgender, PurpleDucky. They have gay clergy, and I believe there is actually a transgendered individual in the clergy in WA. I maybe thinking of something else. A branch of the Lutheran Church has also began to accept homosexuals into the clergy, and the Lutheran Church in Sweden also has a transgendered clergy.

Amoraeterna

Answer by Amoraeterna at 3:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• O&A is "open and affirming"
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes there is even a homosexual Episcopalian bishop, so you're right Amoraeterna. :) It caused a huge controversy.

Not all Christians are anti-gay. And I'm sure not even all Methodists are - I know that the vote to allow homosexuals to be ordained has been close - at least that's what I've heard, I may be wrong....

I've not heard of O&A, I'll have to look into that. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Maybe I was wrong - but this may help :)

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_umc11.htm
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010