please don't think of me as a bad mom! I don't know what to do!

I am almost out of formula! I have no $$ and no one in the area that can get my baby any.I do have a can of Enfamil GentleEase but that is not what he uses. I don't want him to get sick or a tummy ache. I called WIC and they cannot help. They actually told me I will have to wait until Thursday when I can use my next WIC check! I am so worried! Will it hurt him to give him some of the GentleEase? My grandmother said I can give him regular milk or some cereal but I know they say u are not supposed to. He is 2 months old. I feel like a horrible horrible horrible mother! All I can do is sit here and cry. The 10 cans WIC gives lasts me 2 weeks! My son eats 8oz every 2 hours!

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 1:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no u can give him that, its better then nothing.. i wouldn't give him milk at all.. the gentle ease will be ok :)
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Its okay hunny, i dont think your a bad mom. You can give him some of the other formula, it wont hurt him. Will that last you untill Thursday? And why cant you use your wic checks till thursday?
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Get on Freecycle and post a want ad for some of what you normally use. You might be surprised!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Another formula will not hurt him, at all. If that's all you have, it's ALL you have. Even my pediatrician said she used many different formulas when she was feeding them and as long as they're gaining weight, she doesn't care. Do NOT give him regular milk until he's at LEAST one years old. And BTW - he's eating 8 ozs every 2 hours? That seems like an awful lot.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It should be ok to use the GentleEase. Have you tried calling local food banks or church's? I know that they can be alot of help. Also maybe you can look into getting foodstamps. I did feed my kids infant cereal at that age just make sure you really water it down. It will help to fill up their tummy. I used it at bedtime and it really helped them sleep better. I wouldn't suggest giving any regular milk at this age I would be worried that would make upset tummies.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hon, it's okay. You aren't a bad mama. YOu're trying to do what's' best for your baby. Give him the formula you have. He may not like it, but babies are amazingly resilient. Check to see if a church nearby has a food pantry. Most will help when you are stuck like this. WIC doesnt generally give you all of what you need for the baby, just supplements it. Good luck, hon.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• ok thank you! Yes I know i just called hes doctor and she is going to call me back .I literally just fed him at noon (it's almost 1pm here) and he already acts like he is starving. he spits his binky out, and is just fussing and crying. I try waiting 3 or 4 hours and if I don't feed him he screams and screams! Everyone tells me to start putting cereal in his bottle or feed him some with a spoon. I have some but am afraid to use it. and I can't use my WIC check until Thursday because that is when it is effective.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Your baby will be fine with that formula... You are not a bad mother, look at the extent you went to to get your baby formula... I hope things get better for you.... Keep your head up Momma!! Just don't give your lil one regular milk... he is too young for that...
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Have you contacted anyone other than WIC? Local churces, food banks, even your pediatrician/hospital might give you some formula samples. I would give him the other kind of formula that you have, but not cows milk(they cannot properly digest it until 1yo).

Have you signed up at the website for the formula he uses? They usually send checks for formula or $$ off, which I know won't help this time, but if this happens again, you'll be prepared ya know?

It will be alright, deep breaths and calm down so you can figure out what to do.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I guess im just confused because i have had WIC in 3 different states, and they ususally give out vouchers from the first of the month to the end of the month... maybe its different in your state. Anyways, dont feel like a bad mom. Your a great mom, most moms wouldnt have the guts to put something that like on cafemom with out doing it annon. Good luck.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010