Play Mat Useful?

Did your babies enjoy a play mat (the mat with toys dangling above)? If so at what age did they start to enjoy it?
I am trying to weigh options before spending $60 or more on one.
Thanks!

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd loved it! still does, she's 7 months and has been using it since she was about 4 weeks old. i bought a small one though, spent maybe $30.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 1:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think every child loves those play mats. Our daughter was like 3months old when she started to enjoy it. But every baby is different.

BUT.. i would not spend $60 on it. You never know for how long the baby will enjoy it. Our daughter played only a few weeks with it, my friends son only a couple days then he got bored of it. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My daughter liked it once she started crawling. And at 17 months, she still plays with it a bit. But wasn't too interested in it before them. She did like to look at the lion that hung when she was smaller.
    Anonymous

• My son didn't like it at all! Save your money.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Mine never found any use for it. I had "early rollers" and by the time they were able to reach out and grab the things hanging from the "gym" they weren't playing on their backs anymore. I found more success with the Boppy type toys that had toys attached for children to play with while on their tummies.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 2:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Save your $$, we bought one for 40, my daughter liked it for a few days.. then got mad when she couldnt get the toys off it!!

An item WORTH the 60 bucks.. FisherPrice crawl to cruise go baby go jungle toy... my little one loves it!! She is at 7 months and pulling up though.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2341&e=detail&pcat=gobabygo&pid=45363
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have a convertible one...the Ocean Wonders Kick & Crawl Gym. It's under $40 at Babies 'R Us, and I think it will work for awhile. It's got the flat, lay-on-your-back mat for little babies, then you adjust it so it has an elevated portion for tummy time, then it turns into a tunnel for bigger kids. My husband and I are big fort makers, so that I'm sure we'll find uses for it for many years to come (as long as it holds up!).

My rules for buying potentially expensive kid things: a) check out the reviews to make sure it's not a piece of crap, and b) make sure it's something I can use for the next kids we have. I'm considering buying another little play mat thing, and that's $80. My little guy doesn't really care about playing with anything right now, so I'm holding off getting it. If it seems affordable come the time we'd use it, then I'll get it.

Which one are you looking at?
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Oh, I got the ocean wonders for a baby shower gift- that one is worth it. Though, we didnt like the tunnel design because of the hard plastic sides, I recently put away that, my swing, bouncy seat, and the other play mat I mentioned above. Though I left out the beach ball that came with the ocean wonders toy :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My daughter loves it. She is 4 months now and can finally really grab at stuff and play. Even before now though she liked looking at the toys and lights. The mat also helped her roll over. She was trying to reach the arches and she rolled onto her tummy.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Don't spend that much, but definitely get one. I got mine for $15 && although not the most high tech thing with blinking lights and music, he just likes looking at the toys that rattle. Plus usually I put other toys around for him. It's just a good way to lay them down to play on their own without sticking them directly on the floor.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 4:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008