What would you have said?

I was over at a friend's house and my son needed his diaper changed. No big deal, I laid down a changing pad and begin to change him. My friend's almost four year old daughter came over and pointed to his wee wee and asked "what's that?" I told her that it was his wee wee and she asked "why does he have that?" I told her it was because he was a boy and had different parts than her. She said "ok" and the subject got dropped. I would expect her to know this by age four but she is an only child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• We call a vagina and penis a "pee pee" to our 17 month old DS just because it's easier for him to say. We will tell him it is an abbreviation for penis when he gets big enough to say it (and that girls' peepees are called vaginas). I wouldn't stress too much if you called it the correct term or not. Her mom can tell her what she wants her to call it. I would tell the friend though. I don't think you did anything wrong. I would think the 4 year old would have seen her dad's penis at some point if he is in the picture, but maybe it has been a while and she doesn't remember?
    ch-hay

Answer by ch-hay at 2:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would've said "penis."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think you handled it very well. If the mom is a good friend of yours and you are comfortable with it, I'd perhaps mention to her that her daughter was asking so that maybe she'll consider having a little talk with her child. Otherwise, I'd say you said the right thing and then just let it go :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We say penis, but everyone has a different name for things. I agree that you handled it very well. You might say something to her mom, so that she can bring it up to her daughter and call it what they want her to call it. Otherwise, I agree about letting it go.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Her Mom was in the other room doing something. I didn't even think about calling it by its proper name.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You handled it exactly as I would have. I don't think at 4 she would know the exact difference, especially if she was an only child. Or maybe it was mentioned to her but the information just didnt stick and this was the first time she was seeing a male part?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think you handled it perfectly. I think it is up to the parents to deem if their children use the proper terms or not and she may have been more offended by you telling her child a new word which may sound very rude to her coming out of her daughters mouth. :) I would have been okay with what you said had that been my child... but mine already knew that by this age due to having a male cousin. Without him I don't know that they would have yet because there wouldn't have been a reason to tell them yet unless they asked.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Its actually understandable that she didn't know now that I think about it. If she had no other opportunity to learn about it, who goes around explaining to their 4 year old what a penis is?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• How would she know? My kids only know because they have brothers/sisters. You did the right thing, where was her mother?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would have said the same thing, but used the correct word, penis.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010