Juvenile Justice Question

I'm taking a juvenile justice class this semester for my criminal justice minor and just completed this discussion question. I'm curious to see how you all feel now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Should parents and guardians be held legally responsible when a juvenile commits a violent crime? Elaborate."

Erin814

Asked by Erin814 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I personally do not think that the parents should be held responsible unless they contributed to the act. Example, parents told child to bully the a child at school, and child beats child up. The parents and the child should be held responsible for that crime. Now i am personally in a situation where my 14 year old brother sexually abused my 2 year old daughter, i dont think his parents should be held accountable at all. He did it, and he should pay the consiquences.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes and No. It depends on what the kid did. Some things are out of the parents control. But there are a lot of things the parent just neglected to see or pay attention to. Like for instance some parents never go and look in their kids rooms. Because they think kids should have privacy, that is their space. Their could be guns knifes bombs , drugs etc....  Then their are things kids too away from their parent, that the parents did not even think their kid did.

Answer by louise2 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No! As a juvenile, I was in and out of Juvy for minor things, and knew alot of kids in there for major violent crimes, and I knwo that my grandparents were not in any way a contributing factor to my behavior! If the parents have doen everything well as far as the child's discipline and helping the child goes, then how could they be held responsible? There are many situations where parents want their child detained b/c they fear them or fear what the child culd do, and the state denies that to them, and then the child does something horrific. That is the state's fault, not the parent who asked for help! Plus a parent cannpot be held responsible for a child's mental disorders if they are trying to treat them! Speaking from experience, I say absolutly not!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Absolutely. If you must quit your job and tie a rope between you and your child to make sure you know where they are and what they are doing then that is what you must do.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010