What would you say....

if your day care provider told you that you had to make yur child wipe thier own butt because they won't do it anymore? My son is only 4 and i have made several attempts to teach him but he always misses some. I let him try to do it himself but then i usually go back after him. My CCP is now telling me that she shouldn't have to/ won't be checking after him anymore? Is this right of her?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont think thats right of her. Some kids learn at different speeds. Just because she thinks he should be doing it buy now doesnt mean he can. I would get him some flushable whipes and practice practice, but ask her if she could hold of on not checking him untill he learns. If she doesnt check on it, and she is aware he cant do it himeself im sure thats neglect on her part.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 2:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think it is not right to expect a 4 year old to do a through job of it!

Answer by older at 1:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think it is right. It should have been taught with potty training, and at 4 is a perfectly good age for them to be efficient enough to handle it properly.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yeah i would have to agree with maureen to try the flushable moist wipes.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think at 4 he should be able to do a decent job. Buy him the Kando flushable wipes. That might make it easier on him
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 1:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Well, just have him do the best he can during the day. Give him a bath at night. My daycare provider didn't wipe butts at 4.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• it's ok if he misses some, just make sure he takes a bath at night, a little streak in his underwear won't hurt him, he'll eventually learn how to do it right.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son has the same problem sometimes, and those kando wipes can really help. I had my son use that first and then some regular tissue to dry himself and make sure it was all gone, no problems since
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would just practice with him and then make sure he's clean when you get home. Honestly at 4 he should be able to handle it himself.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You can try giving your child wipes to do it. They seem to get more off. Some adults can't seem to get everything. I would keep working with him on it. These things take A LOT of work and patience, but it will pay off.
    I have no idea what to say to the CCP. But you might try to calmly discuss this with her.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010