Pregnant dog

No bashing.

My dog is pregnant, first time ive gone through this, can you tell me everything you know?!

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 2:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Start feeding her puppy chow. Let her stay indoors. And go to a vet to find out how far along she is so you don't have pups and slimy sacs all over your carpet or under your bed. Build a whelping box or use one of those kiddy pools.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Well shes about to give birth, her nipples are big and buy the last time she was "got" by a male dog she would be having them around Halloween, but she could have gotten preg the first time she was "got" by a male dog which would be around now to give birth. I just dont know what to expet.
    mommyofAurora

Comment by mommyofAurora (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Have you taken her to a vet? She could be having a false pregnancy, so she needs to be seen by a vet. Did you delibaratley breed her? If so it is responsible to write down the dates so you can track them. Do you know how to tear open the little sacs they come in? Mom doesn't always tear them out.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• she should be okay, instincts and all. Build a whelping area for her to birth in. She will need it warm and dark. Dogs are pregnant for 64 days. Get her fixed as soon as possible.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• DON'T keep her in the dark.
    DO keep it warm.
    DON'T, DON'T, DON'T feed her anything that has the word chow in it. She needs a healthy, well balanced puppy food. Something like Taste of the Wild, Eagle Pack etc.
    DO have a place for her to whelp the pups in. Have on hand rubbing alcohol, scissors, string, rubber gloves, towels, blankets and some sort of heat lamp. If she has trouble ripping open the birthing sack, you will have to do it with your hands. If she can't bite through the cord you will have to tie a string around two sections of the cord and snip it off in the middle of the two sections. STERILIZE the scissors EACH TIME. If a puppy is having trouble breathing, take two rough, but warmed (you can warm them in the dryer) and rub the puppy vigorously but gently to get the puppy to breathe. con't
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There are C-sections to worry about if a pup gets stuck and can't come out. There are breech deliveries to worry about as well. Your best bet is to go to a vet. Most won't turn you away if you tell them the dog is pregnant and you will need help. MOST will allow you to set up a payment plan.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelping.htm

This is for Havanese but it's pretty much standard for all dogs whelping pups.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Why did I get a thumbs down? I simply stated facts. It's important to write things down, to protect her. I have had several dogs with pups. Do you know for sure shes pregnant? Can you feel puppies move? False pregnancies can cause pyoria and kill your dog. I had two bitches that I had to spay over this. The look preg, act preg, lactate and everything. Then when they are due, no babies. It's crazy wierd.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• awwwwwwww i dunno anything..lol..but thats so cool!!! good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• If you have a rectal thermometer, take her temperature - nonpreg dog temp is around 102, preg temp is around 100, ready to whelp goes down to 98 and within 24 hours they will start to give birth. During the week before mine are due, I start to take temps 2-3 times a day - the girls hate it, but they seem to know it's for their own good ! Dogs are not at all like cats - a lot are not good natural mothers, so take Acid's advice on the puppy whelping info. online, or I agree to take her to the vet and let the vet whelp her - you don't want to lose her or the puppies !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010