How do you know if someone is using drugs?

I suspect that my mother is using meth. Her husband passed away a year and a half ago and a few months after she started hanging out with this man. He uses me I know for sure a fact my mother told me. Now i think she is using it. she stays at his house all the time and they stay up all night. She has major mood swings and flips out over nothing. She is 52 years old and look older. My aunt even mentioned how much her personality and looks have changed since she has been with this man. I don't know what to do I am so worried about her but I do not know for sure she is using. Help please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Health

• unfortunately there is nothing you can make her realize or do. giving her the benefit of the doubt is merely enabling her. i know this sounds cruel and hard, but probably the best thing you can do is tell her that you love her but you and your children cannot associate with her due to her unhealthy lifestyle and unpredictable behavior. you have got to understand that no amount of reason or love is going to change her mind... addiction overrides these things. she will need to realize the consequences of her actions on her own - this is a consequence. let her know that when she is ready to stop you will help her in any way you can, but watch for lies and empty promises. if you want to pm me, please do so... experienced in many ways with addiction.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• two ways - talk to her and her admit it or a drug test.
    Anonymous

• Have you just asked her? What did she say?
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• well talk to her and let her know how you feel and mabe she will let go of this man cause it sounds to me like he is a bad influinze on her mabe if you talk to her and set bounderis she will come clean. i do not know much about meth but it sounds like there would be nothing else for her to do with him but use it, do you have kids that she comes to see or dose she not really come around? if she dose come around the kid you dont want that around them so tell her that it is the guy or her grandbabies and mabe that will help clear her mind. well good luck and i hope it works out for you!!!!!!!!!!
    hotmama174

Answer by hotmama174 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have asked her and of course she gets defensive and says no. She stays at his house 75% of the time I just don't understand how she can just change so drastically since being with/around him and why would someone that is is not doing it themselves want to be around that all the time unless she was doing it also.
    Anonymous

• I have a daughter and I do not want her to be around that period especially since I grew up around my father who has a substance abuse problem so I know what effects it can leave on a person being raised around substance abuse. I do not know any other way to find out if she is because I know she will say no to a drug test.
    Anonymous

• The only things I know about it is what I've seen on commercials. It's supposed to rot peoples teeth really bad and they get addicted from trying it one time. If I were you I would try to find a local drugs anonymous place and get information, and try to find out if there's anything you can do. I don't know if you can check her in to rehab without her consent.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• sounds like you already know the answer. is there a way to get her to get help before she totally goes under? that stuff is a killer... if not physically then mentally and emotionally. people who don't use drugs rarely stay with someone who does except when there is control and abuse happening. that is a huge switch in personality... i really hope she gets out of that lifestyle... it sucks people in quickly and it's very scary.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Meth is a bad one it can age a person and it rots their teeth,it destroys the body,I have never used thankfully but have saw enough that I know to stay away,have you thought about getting her into intervention?you sound like you already see the signs,and at her age it can age her quicker then she would by nature.its a bad addiction that will only get worse if you dont try to get her help.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 2:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• thank you ladies so much for your help! I think I am just going to tell her if she wants to be a part of our lives she will have to quit seeing him and quit using if she is. You all have been a great help!
    Anonymous