When should he start school and what kind?

My son will be Four in Nov, which is after a cut off date for school. But I am confused on which he should start, pre-k? pre-school, what is the difference, what can I put him into to make sure hes learning what he needs to know to be equal to his peers? He started speaking really late to, so his communication skills are still slow compared to his playmates who are around the same age.

ThaSs

Asked by ThaSs at 2:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Look into ECEAP or Head Start on Ft Lewis and McChord. You don't live on McChord I know, but you can still look into sending him to school there I think. My daughter did ECEAP a few years ago, and even though its only 8:00-10:30 daily it helped her get ready for kindergarten.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Preschool is usually for kids ages 3-4. They focus a lot on social skills. They will also work on pre-reading and pre-writing skills. As well as shapes, colors, numbers, and letters. Pre-K is usually for 5 year olds and work on some of the same skills as preschool but above and beyond that. I would suggest preschool. Give your son extra time and allow him to mature. if you have anymore preschool questions,contact me...I teach preschool!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Everone around here starts their little ones in preschool at age 3. Definitely want to get him in the fall for at least at least one year of preschool to see if being around peers will bring his speach up to par. Or they may suggest speach therapy on top of preschool. We are actually not starting our son in kindergarten until he's six because his maturity level/attention span is below that of his peers in preschool. That's something we would not have known if he hadn't done preschool. So he will get an extra year (for 3 total) before kindgarten.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 2:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Prek and Preschool are the same..you have to visit to see what meets your needs...also if you have Magnet Schools near you whom have Prek programs APPLY!! They are lottery based but if he gets in it's FREE!! GL momma
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would put him in Pre-K if you feel that he is ready. You can start working with your child now on some of the things that they cover in Pre-K. My almost 3 year old and I do color pages every day with letters, numbers, and shapes to help better prepare him.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• my ds jus started pre-school this year and he loves it...they are doing sooo much with the kids...more then when we were kids..its amazing!! he knows his colors...numbers...shapes...and abc...and now they are working on writting their names...wow...all at 3yrs...so its up to the parent...We decide to send our ds to pre-school bcuz he was getting bored around the house..and he was seeimg the others kids in the area with their bookbags and things :) so he wanted to be apart of the BIG BOY school.. as he call it...LOL

But here in DC...you are required to begin school at the age of 5....any younger is a choice
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 2:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That's really up to you, I suppose. Most states do not require preschool and some do not require kindergarten.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Get him into either pre K, preschool or nursery school next year. They are all the same thing. His birthday will work to his advantage. He will be one of the oldest in the class. That's very good.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would look into the schooling laws of your state and then make a decision. If its choice and you think he's ready for school put him in....
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 3:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Ya I set up our account online, just waiting on a call back for my appointment. I feel behind, back in NC you couldnt put a 3yr into a program, I hope I can get him in on base :) Thanks April!

Thanks for all the suggestions, its appreciated!
    ThaSs

Comment by ThaSs (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010