is the weather making my daughter sick??

My 17 month old has gotten a runny nose and cough again. This is the 3rd time in 2 months! I just don't know why this is and if this is strange or normal. Could it be our northern weather that's constantly changing??

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 2:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I suspect that my son has inherited my allergies, which tend to be worse in the fall and spring. Typically comes with some combination of runny nose, watery eyes, and a dry cough (especially in the when the air tends to be dry). A productive cough, thick yellow or green mucus, fever, etc. usually means a virus or some other kind of illness. He tends to catch several mild colds a year too, but right now I suspect he has the same allergies to things like ragweed that I do. A humidifier or going in the bathroom and breathing the steam of the running shower can help with them with congestion.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Weather doesn't cause illness; germs cause illness.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes, the weather more than likely has everything to do with it. That's the bad part about spring and fall. The temperatures are constantly changing from hot to cold, causing colds and such.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Could be alleregy's
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Probably allergies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Sounds like allergies to me... My 16 monrh old has severe seasonal allergies and over the past couple months ragweed has been prodominant. After the first frost if your baby still has the symptoms than it is likely something other than allergies... My daughter has nasal drainage from Mar - Early November. Along with other allergy issues.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• either allergies or weather change...you could always have a scratch test done.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 4:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Weather does not cause illness, germs cause illness. Weather changes can affect allergies. She's too young for allergy meds unless it's bad enough that a doctor orders use. Talk to the doc if you're worried - but it sounds normal, it is that time of year for a lot of us. My kids' (and mine) allergies are going nuts right now with harvest, fall allergens, etc.
    Anonymous

• Did she started to go to daycare by any chance? My daughter did that when I first started to take her to daycare. It was a few months until her system got used to the variety of germs from all the kids. Once she became imune to it she barely gets any colds now but it lasted a few months in the adjustment period.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 10:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010