how do i get border off of my wall??

im redoing my kitchen but how do I take down the border??

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 2:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We tried the heat gun, which was awful, because it stunk to high heaven. So, I went back to the tried and true method I've used before...Use the wallpaper tool that scores it and then spray with a mixture of Downy (a surfactant) and water. Non-brand fabric softener works just as well. I used about a 1:1 ratio. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then scrape. You'll have to respray as you go, and sometimes the top layer comes off and the bottom, more paper like part has to be sprayed again before it will scrape off. Be sure to wipe up the drips on the wall before they dry. I have had to do this in 2 homes now. It's a pain in the butt any which way you look at it, but at least your house will smell fresh as a spring breeze. :-) Happy re-decorating!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Take a pattern wheel and run over the wallpaper border to puncture holes in it all over. Then use a sponge and bucket to thoroughly wet the border. Let it sit a few minutes to soak in. It should then peel right off.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Use a steamer and a plastic putty knife.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Speaking from experience...you will regret it if you use any of the chemical products. Yikes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree that steam is a good option. Not too messy but just enough oomph.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 2:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Go to Home Depot and ask. They have chemicals that help to strip it. It's a pain in the ass.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have heard of the fabric softener thing before. I need to try this! We have an UGLY border in our kitchen that must go
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010