My two year old won't wake up...

I'm going to assume he has a cold, mainly because I have one. He has been asleep for almost 14 hours now. He does wake for moments and then falls asleep again. I'm worried he might get dehydrated, he did manage to drink about 5 hours ago. Should I be worried? It's not like him to sleep more than 8 hours a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Have you checked his temperature?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• check his temp and call the Pedi
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would check his temp if you havent already. My kids would sleep long periods of time if they were sick sometimes...

I would try to rouse him to get him to drink some sips...if he is that sleepy he will just fall asleep again anyways.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree check his temp. Also 14 hours is not unheard of to sleep when you are sick, but if he won't wake up when you have tried to wake him, then I would be worried. I would take off his clothes and open a window to make him uncomfortable enough to wake up. Rub his back and sit him up and move him around.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Sleep is good for him if he is getting sock. Don't take his temp yet, it will read higher than it is because he has been asleep.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• If my child has been sleeping for 14 hours and when i went to wake her up and she didn't get up i would be on my way to the ER not on here wondering what the hell to do.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think that sounds like a really long time. I'd probably be going to the E.R. or at very least calling a doctor. Please call your doctor ASAP!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 6:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• How old is he? My 2 year old would sleep for 14 hours if he was sick.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yeah, I would like to know how old they are too. Shoot, my son sleeps for 15 hours a night on average. It isn't unheard of to sleep a lot while sick. I would just let him sleep it off. Keep checking on him occasionally, but I would just let him sleep.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• dido
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010