Put your Foot Down with the mother-in-law

I love my mother in law with all of my heart but she brings crap food to my kids. I tell her all of the time if you have to bring something bring healthy things, and she will for about a week or two . Then there she is again with a huge bag of candy. i usually just take it to work and let my co-workers eat it but i am tried of having to say the same thing all of the time. She tell's me she can bring whatever becasue she is the grandma. Any help at all would be good

Beckcin108

Asked by Beckcin108 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have a sit down talk with her. Say that, even though she's Grandma, she's not their mother. You are.
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 2:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Have you told her flat out, grandma or not no you can't?
    Anonymous

• Good luck with that. I would tell her that you don't approve and she really needs to stop before it puts a strain on your relationship.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 2:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have told her in every way i can . I even tell her that i take all of the candy to my work and she still dose it.
    Beckcin108

Comment by Beckcin108 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• hmm..........then she does sound like a real piece of work if you tell her not to.
    have you considered just taking it away from her before the kids see it?
    I guess if it's like then and she still continues, I guess just keep taking it to work.
    there's only so much we can do to control other's actions, and if the kids aren't getting the candy or seeing it either way, then just keep taking it to work.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't allow her alone with the children.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I can't do that . It isn't that big of a deal . I would like to just have one less thing to worrie about with my childeren. I know it would break her heart if I ever told her that she couldn't keep the kids
    Beckcin108

Comment by Beckcin108 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• If she can't stop, stat throwing it away with her there. Let her know if it keeps coming in it will keep going in the trash. Grandma is not a free ticket to do whatever you want. She's not honoring the way you want to raise your kids, if she will go against you on something as basic as candy, can you trust her on other things?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm having this problem with MY mom. We are trying hard to teach both boys (my 3 yo is much easier because he loves veggies, lean meats etc) to eat healthy. My 9 yo is autistic, with a very limited diet. We are working with a food therapist to help. But my mother undermines me at every turn! I asked her if she wants him to be on insulin by 20! It's frustrating, but it's your children's health! Just tell her she can bring what she likes, but as their mother it's your responsibility and right to throw it away to protect your children. GL :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• does she do it every day? if not, then I do not really see the big deal. Let them have one piece when she brings it, then take it to work. Seriously, I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than you need to. I am all about feeding my DD healthy foods, but a little treat isn't going to kill her or ruin her healthy eating habits.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010