1 in 3 American families don't have enough diapers?

Okay, so I just heard this on a Huggies commercial. I don't know how true it is. But here's my thing... I would rather donate to get these families cloth diapers which will keep them from having to buy more and more than put money towards getting them disposables which only help them for a few days or a week at a time...

Why don't more places that offer "free diapers" have cloth options? I mean, sure, they would put more money towards each help bundle, but when people are using donated or charity places to get diapers over and over they are easily using $300 or $500 worth of disposables, so they wouldn't put more money in to these people, they would simply cut down on the need long term...

Are there charities that offer cloth? What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if they cant afford diapers, they probably cant affrod to do much laundry either...so personally I think they would have a hard time with cloth diapers for not being able to clean them.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm not sure about the availability of these programs, but what a wonderful idea it would be to offer free cloth diapers to these families! It would help them financially and help the environment. Good point!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You have a very good idea but not many people want to use cloth diapers anymore. As some would say to much work and to messy. Those families are probably working over time and each parent has a job so there is little time to continually wash cloth diapers
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Surely they have a sink and some cheap ass soap.

In the long run..cloth would be best. Disposables are hella expensive over time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When I was really really poor I had no washer and dryer and no money for the laundry mat.
    Anonymous

• I guess my thing is why not at least give the option... I know if it were me, I would rather worry about washing them than I would about where do I get my next pack or what happens next time we run out... At least if I have them I can wash them by hand or something, sure it's a little more work, but it would provide a long term answer to an issue rather than a short term issue. And I also think more people would be willing to explore cloth if that was there option...

I wish I had gone cloth with my oldest two, but honestly, I didn't even know they still existed... I thought cloth went out in the 70s or something...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes you can wash cloth diapers by hand. But unless you boil them, you won't kill any e coli that is on them.
    And cloth diapers, with the costs of washing them do not wind up that much cheaper. Particularly the kinds they have now.
    Now if you will be using them for multiple children consecutively, then yes you could save money. But why would you be having multiple children if you cant afford to buy diapers?
    Many daycares will not take a baby in cloth, and if you can't afford diapers, surely you need to be working right?
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 3:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would pay to donate cloth diapers before I would disposable. Yes, they can be hand washed at home for those who don't have a washer and dryer. Also, since size is an option, what if you could get so many and then trade them in for a larger size when you needed to move up, then the smaller ones could be given to another mom in need.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Uh, you DO NOT need to boil diapers. WTH? Washers don't wash with boiling hot water.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010