What if your family history meant annual screenings and removal of various body parts?

A life in limbo: At risk for 12 cancers
Excerpts of article by By Valerie Frankel, Self
I'd never heard of Lynch syndrome. When I Googled it, I learned that it is an inherited genetic mutation that increases one's risk for cancers of the colon, uterus, ovaries, bladder, ureter and, rarely, the brain, among others. If I had it, my lifetime chance for colon cancer would be up to 85 percent (versus 5 percent for most women); for uterine cancer, my risk would be up to 60 percent (versus less than 3 percent). Bad odds, indeed.
Link to full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39334219/ns/health-cancer/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Health

• My family history is genetic. We were raised pretty much knowing we would get breast cancer, so we do screenings to better our chance of survival. It does also included have body parts removed. I would rather go through all of this and live to see my children grow than to think of it as a hassle and ignore my risk.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'd take the life over limb approach.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010