At what age did your toddler first crawl out of his/her crib???

My daughter is 16 months. I am concerned because her room is at the top of the stairs and I dont want her to get out and fall down the stairs before I even realize she is out. She hasnt attempted it yet but just learned to climb up onto the couch and chairs and things. So when did your baby first get out of the crib? What were some signs before then.... I know I need a gate at her door and will get it this weekend. I am just looking for an age.

navyjen

Asked by navyjen at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 23 months..Christmas day! fun! fun! I would have kept him in it til he was at least 3...When he learned to crawl I put a gate on his dor...you might consider that?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Mine never did. I say them one day trying to get out and we decided it was time to switch it over to the toddler bed. They were both a few month over 20 months.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Mine never did. All 3 kids, and they were very athletic, they never thought to climb out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• my daughter climb out @ 10 months!!! she is tall for her age and it scared da hell out of me. so i had to lower her crib.
    new_mama386

Answer by new_mama386 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My ds is 28 months and hasn't attempted it yet lol. For now, if you're truly that concerned about it, keep her bedroom door closed until you can get a gate.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 3:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• my dd was 18 months. and she was a monkey about it... i would suggest putting a baby gate at the top of the stairs for ur sanity. and lowering her crib. good luck. she may not do it tho. bc my oldest never did. she just decided she wanted a toddler bed and refused to get in the crib. (luckily it converted)
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• First and foremost you NEED to put a gate at the top of your stairs TODAY! Usually when you have an inc-ling that something could happen, it does. I have the Evenflo Secure Step metal gates attached to the wall at the top and bottom of my staircase. They open & close with a child proof latch like a door. We installed them as soon as my Son started to walk. Personally, my Son never climbed out of his crib but many of my friends children climbed out before 16 months. I have a friend that bought a netted canopy that goes over the top of the crib with a zipper closure to prevent her son from climbing out. But you really need to put a gate at the top & bottom of the staircase. Gates that are attached to the wall on one side are the safest NOT tension gates for doorways.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son first climbed out at around 11-12 months, but didn't do it often... he made a habit of it at around 16 months at which point we put him in a toddler bed. We keep my son's door closed with a child safety knob on the inside so he can't get out and wander.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• 4 kids here and none of them ever climbed out - idk if they attempted, but if they did they never accomplished.
    Anonymous

• My daughter started around 10 months and she actually even broke a rail once and she got out :)) she pushed it with her legs enough to make it snap in two. Took it out and got out between the rails as well.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 10:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010