Does charity solve anything?

Carlos Slim is the Mexican billionaire listed by Forbes as the world's richest man. Although he has contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to his own charities and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, his signature has not appeared on Gates and Warren Buffett's "Giving Pledge," in which billionaires promise to donate half their fortunes to charity.
Excerpt from article by Patrick James. Link to full article: http://www.good.is/post/world-s-richest-man-says-charity-doesn-t-solve-anything/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Does it "solve" anything? Um, loaded question. Giving people who are not going to care for themselves a blank check doesn't make them care for themselves. They may very well spend the entire check and look for more when it's gone.

Now, giving good, hardworking people a leg up when times are bad or after an emergency? Yep, solves plenty. And hopefully, they pay it forward.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This pledge was/is an attempt to prove that the rich don't need to pay higher taxes because they contribute a lot to society through charitable donations.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• True charity gives a person a hand up, and not just a hand out. A hand up implies you know they can do better ~ and will if they are given half a chance. A hand up implies that you know they hit a rough patch and can get past it with a little help and/or an opportunity.

A hand out implies that you think a person can't or won't try, or isn't capable. It's self defeating and insulting. In many cases it becomes a self-fulfulling situation.

Fallaya, I do agree with you ~ just within the context I've stated here. Giving to help anyone should be done with an open heart, but I think those parceling out the funds can/should do much better. Allowing a person to keep their dignity and pride should be a factor imo.
    The only charity that is consistently a hand out should be for those who are too handicapped to ever reasonably be expected to do better, for our elderly, etc. All other monies should be put into a hand up instead.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Don't give it to an organization. Give it to the actual people who need the help. Then, yes, it helps. If you give to an organization, it helps the organization.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My husband and I were just talking about Carlos today (we live in Mexico). He should be helping his own country out charity wise. I don't think charity is a 'solution', I do think it's a step in the right direction though as far as helping out a cause that would otherwise be screwed without the contributions of others.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Charity is just that: charity. One does not burden themselves with wondering how the money (or resources) are used. They just give with a cheery and giving heart. Now obviously you want the money to be used for the specific purpose (for example, if you're giving to the American Heart Society, you want the money to used for that intended purpose), but it's not necessary to know where every single penny goes.

It's also not our place to decide who is more deserving or not. Let God take care of that. I regularly give to the VFW. I don't give a hoot who is "more deserving" of my charity. I'm just glad to give. And when I give to homeless people I see on the streets, I give out of genuine concern. I don't quiz them beforehand to find out how they plan to use the money.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It isd an individal choice whether or not to donate to a Charity. And it is none of our business who they donate to and none of our business to criticize.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010