Does adoption history have anything to do with you, your adoption and children in today's world?

I've seen a few times where new triad members dismiss adoption practice and policy from years ago not being relevant in today's adoption

Is adoption history important?
Why or why not?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 3:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Adoption

• I think everyone's experience is relevant because adoption never "ends". No matter where you are in your journey, you are always learning...or should be. Hearing past & present experiences give us reflection on our own situations. Good & bad. If someone isn't open to hearing how is "used" to be then how do they know its not happening now? To prevent things from happening that are detrimental, dont we first have to know what those things are? It's pretty easy to try to just sweep away the past because a few things have changed. Sure "open" adoptions are more common now, but "open" becoming "closed" still happens. There's still nothing in place to stop it. Until the adoption industry is "perfect" (and nothing ever is), everyone needs to speak of their own experiences with it...no matter when they occurred.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes. Because the laws set what the current policies and practices are. Because it sets legal precident. And sometimes new ways of doing things is reactionary but not good policy or sound practice. Knowing the history and why things are lends itself to what changes we can make in the future. But I look at it from a policy point of view and how it has impacted people historically. We have a tendency to throw the baby out with the bath water. We don't need to invent the wheel but sometimes make adjustments to fit the situation. Thinking critically is important in all aspects of our lives. Why would somehow adoption be not as imprtant to review practices and analyze the outcomes?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't know, I guess not
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 3:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Absolutely. Adoption used to open. Then in the 50's they started closing the records, secrets and lies where the norm. We need to go back and see what the lies were and what the secrets were if we want to improve the adoption experience, especially for the adoptee.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Frogdawg, it's one of the things here that frustrates me most. Someone saying to the effects of 'oh, that's old school and things like that NEVER happen anymore. 'it' doesn't concern me or effect me, so go away.
    And that's beside the point of being called out as OLD
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Adoption changes are really important for children in foster care. The Florida adoption law means kids will stay and have better bonding experiences....just because humans can change infant/young child bonds, doesn't mean we should mess with their attachments and bond.
    The child with deep emotional connections with their people will almost always fair better than the unattached or post traumatic attached child.....and foster care does a shitty job protecting children's bonded relationships...it is real damage that our current system needs to address.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010