Should a foreign language be a college requirement?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 3:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in

• I forgot to add this.

In the next coming decade and beyond. More and more Americans will have to compete with others from around the world for job opportunities.. And.. Since the trend of outsourcing/offshoring is not likely to change during that time, except for expanding. More and more Americans will not only need to be qualified to, but also willing to, work for subsidiaries of American companies located overseas. In order to be able to compete for, and qualify for many career opportunities in the coming decades, a second sometimes even third language will be needed.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• College? I think it should be a high school requirement!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Whether or not you use it, learning a foreign language can in fact be a very useful skill. And seriously, I can honestly say I never use chemistry in my day to day life, and I still had to take that, so what exactly is your point, anon? As for photogrypher, that's just a dumb comment. We live in a global/international economy these days, so learning another language can come in handy there. And most people who move here from other countries already know English, since it's taught from a very early age in other developed countries. As for the ones who don't... Has nothing to do with any of this. Besides, the US doesn't even HAVE an official language.

Learning different languages at an early age helps your brain develop. And I'm getting sick and tired of some people over here pretending that the US is the only country in the world, or the only one that matters. Expend your horizons some, willya?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i think it would benifit our country for more students to kno more than english. but its not gonna happen.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I personally think it should be taught from at least Jr high, if not earlier. Waiting until college makes it much more difficult to learn.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think they should be taught starting in Elementary. Kids pick it up faster then. If it was then used throughout their schooling experience in continued in college we'd probably be much better off.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 3:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The high school I went to required 2 years of a foreign language to graduate (they offered Spanish, French and Latin, I took French).  The college I went to required 2 years of a college level language course.  My high school French did not count so I took 2 years of Spanish in college. 

I think learning a foreign language is beneficial to all people.  In many other countries students begin learning a 2nd launguage in elementary school.  My French teacher was actually French and she told us in 2nd grade kids start learning a 2nd language and add a 3rd by the time they are in 6 grade.  One language must be English, the other usually depends on where they live in the country.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Personally, I think it should be taught from Kindergarten when kids absorb a foreign language better.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think it would be benificial. Not only does that open the child up to so much more as far as careers and pay scales go(many employers look for people who are bilingual) it forces them to use a part of the brain that is seldom used. They think in new and different ways. We homeschool and will be starting Latin with DD(who is 5 and entering 1st grade in January) next year. Both our children will also learn Spanish(She already knows a little. Her Uncle is bilingual) and French. After that, they can choose what they want to learn.
    The point of the class is not just to teach a foreign language, it is to teach them new ways to look at work and new ways to learn.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It is a requirement at many Universities/Colleges just for admission.. Many programs of study also have a foriegn language requirement.

My son had to meet a foreign language requirement for the program he was accepted to at MIT.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

Next question in
Looking for some bright ideas... PLEASE!!!

Next question overall (Entertainment)
Owl Movie