potty training! adult content

so we started him potty training and we would give him a Hershey kiss every time he would go to the bathroom. He even would sit and poop 1 or 2. surprised us but he would. well then he just stopped! he stopped wanting to go when the alarm would go off for him to go.. he has no problem going and daycare, we even had to put this cleaner thing in like our provider has at her place so he would go.. well now he won't go at all for us.. in the morning before we take a shower/bath together he will only pee in the tub! am i doing something wrong? i wasn't very patient with him at first, but know i have gotten really well at that and maybe he is scared?? i don't know.. any ideas? please he was doing awesome and now i feel like i failed! :(

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 3:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd is doing the same thing. i backed of for awhile and she improved a bit. good luck and heres a bump
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i even stopped asking him to go.. he would say i don't want to!
    Mrs.Ro

Comment by Mrs.Ro (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My DS did the same thing. After not wanting to battle with him any longer I put him in pull ups and then just reminded him to "tell mommy when he has to go potty." The key is to give them control. If you are constantly harping them to go and asking they feel control loss and won't go. Just remind him to ask you and if he doesn't who cares he has a pullup on. BTW how old is he?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have had my ups and downs with my LO also and we were doing good for a while and know she hates to even sit on the potty. I am just gonna buy a new potty chair and see what happens. You know my friend has 3 children and 2 of them would go for the daycare workers and sister and for her she had to climb mountains to get them to just sit on there for a minute. Be calm and try to make a game out of it. It will get better.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Did you take his diapers away? I really think the only way to train them is to wait until they are completely ready and then put them in underwear. And never go back to diapers. Except at night.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• mompam..I did that..actually I did the 3 day method and threw ALL the diapers away. It totally worked for 2 months. He was totally potty trained and rarely had an accident. Then suddenly he decided it was no longer fun. Then for the last 2 months I battled him with the dirty clothes and messes. I was done...I put the pull ups on after a huge inner battle with myself..lol and Voila..he's going again...who knew...all kids are different and I think you just gotta see what works for yours..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• my son is 2 1/2 and he doesn't want to wear diapers.. he wants to wear pullups.. but why should i put them on him if he won't tell me he has to go!!
    Mrs.Ro

Comment by Mrs.Ro (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• so he really was never trained? I'd keep him in daipers then..its cheaper and he hates them..even more of a reason for him to want to try. he is still young...most boys don't truly train til 3.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Don't bother with pull ups. They are just expensive diapers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Since he's a boy try tossing fruit loops in the toilet and having him try to pee in the middle of them.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 4:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010