my parents r putting me and my kids in an unhealth situation!!!

9 yrs ago my parents offered me their house on rent to own basic, it's not in a good neighborhood at all,but it's cheap . they only wanted like 12,000 for the house and I've paid way more that that in 9 yrs. about 37,000. but here's the real issue the electric in bad in the house most outlets don't work , it's actually so bad that it's broken a$900 stove 2 refrigerators ($2,600) , all the floors are unlevel, the walls, ceiling and floors r in very bad shape, bathroom in a little mold box and now the sewer just broke and they say their not fixing it , so now my house smells like a outhouse(nasty)they tell me they don't know what to say except i need to find a new house. But the only thing they did do is let us go rent free for the last 4 months due to my hubby being laid off, well he jus started a new job 3wks ago and now they want rent, yeah they want me to pay for a house that is in unlivable and unhealthy living conditions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• It's your house now. You have to pay to repair it.
    Anonymous

• You've already paid for the house? Then those things are your responsibility.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• they have no morgage on the house and they still want rent and expect me to be able to save for a new house and moving cost and a new stove, refrigoratoer and still do the holidays for my kids? Do u think i should still pay rent until i find a new place????
    angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'd move or not pay them a red cent. It's the LandLord's duty to keep your house up to code. That's the law. A landlord can not allow you to live in substandard conditions. Especially if there are health risks involved. Move out and get something better or just don't pay them at all.... would they really evict you?
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Then leave. Your parents aren't putting you in an unhealthy position. YOU are putting yourself in it. You aren't being forced to stay. You know hoe mad it is so just leave.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It sounds like they've bent over backwards to help you. If you owned the house outright, you'd be responsible for the repairs yourself. Given everything you're going through this sounds like something that will need to be put off til you can afford it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• they didn;'t keep their word just about six months ago they asked me if i wanted to buy the house from them???YEAH...their messed up and all about Money they don't give a shit about us ( me or their grand kids) the only time they care is if it involves a gift for them or money
    angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• so who owns the house... you or them?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• they told me their just gonna donate the house to the human society and not fix a thing, that they can't afford to fix it but in 9 yrs of paying them rent( and all nine yrs they had no mortgage) the only thing they fixed in my house was a $50 window
    angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• them, they went against their word
    angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010