Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could i apply for social security income?

I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who has seizures. Shes beeing seen by a nuerologist but has not been diagnosed. She is much slower then other children (cant talk, walk, do most things a child her age can), she falls at about the 9 month catagory. I was wondering if she could get social security income?

No bashing please, i just need some advice

Answer Question

Asked by mommyofAurora at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 12 (840 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • you can try

    Answer by diana398 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • If she has not been diagnosed. Your application will most likely be rejected.

    In most cases, in order to qualify for SSI, you will need a diagnosis, and a medical history to support that diagnosis.

    Sometimes special cases are allowed through, but that usually takes a review of medical records, which usually takes sometime.

    You can try. But until you have an official diagnosis to work with, I think your chances will be slim.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 3:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • It's worth a try, worst they can do is deny you but you can always fight for it. Get a pro bono attorney if they deny you and they will fight for it for you. My mom's friend had to go through something similar to your situation, she applied for her child, got denied, got a free lawyer and then at the hearing she finally got it.

    Answer by Nanixh at 3:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I'm sure you have the right to apply. I have a friend in a similar situation that finally won benefits for her child, but they are sitting in an account because she is being told by SS that the money can only be use for medical care. He already has free medical care though. I'm not sure what the deal is....

    Answer by Erin814 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • You might want to see if there are guidelines on the social security administration's website. I have a feeling she won't qualify until she has a diagnois and even then only if she is deemed permenantly disabled.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • She will not qualify without a diagnosis and significant medical history. And even then, what you get might be paltry and not worth the hassle. I would maybe wait a year or so, get an official diagnosis, get medical records built up, and then try to apply. My son received benefits for a while and he only got $70 per month.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.