Color blindness in girls?

I'm worried that my 4 year old daughter may have color blindness. She consistently mixes up green and orange, and she'll be adamant about green being orange.

Do you have a color blind child? How did you find out? How does it effect your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• colorblindness is a recesive trait. chances are she is just confused on the names or playing w/ u. my dd went thru a phase where she did that. not until she got in school did she straighten up. i guess the peer pressure to get it right was enough for her. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• all I know is if you are color blind you can't fly a plane... My son consistently mixed up green and purple for a LONG time though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• She is too young for a proper diagnosis. Give her time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Color blindness in a girl is very rare. Most likely she is getting her colors mixed up. Lots of children do.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• 8 percent of males and 0.4 percent of females are color blind. For a female to be color blind BOTH of her X chromosomes have to be screwed up where males only have one X chromosome to begin with. I have a son that is red/green deficient.....he's not completely color blind. Thought my daughter MIGHT be, BUT she just mixed up her colors until about late 1st grade. We just bought some cool books that had color names in them and read to her most nights for a few months from those books.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• How did I find out? I have an old Naval Color Blindness testing book. AND our eye doctor does it with all boys that come through their office.
    How do we deal with it? Its no biggie - he just explains to teachers that have corrected him on a color that he's partly color blind and life goes on. He sees some red shades as grey.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010