My new stepmom got made at me for telling my 5 yr. old that Santa was pretend.

Her son is 13, and my little 5 yr. old girl said it out loud in front of her child. "Guess what?! Mommy and Daddy pretend to be Santa, Mommy told me! I think that is fun!!"
And she was like, "Oh, nooooo! Santa is real. Mommy and Daddy aren't pretending that."
And then she told me, "Why did you tell her that?!"
And I was like, "Why not?" And she said, "Well I don't want to hear anymore of that around my child, because he believes...."
Remember he is 13 and her only child...
I don't think he really believes, I think she is psycho!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would agree. I told my 6 and 7 yo a few weeks ago that it was pretend. I was upset and hurt and felt betrayed when I was a kid and found out. I think she is a little psycho :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• HaHa... I would really have pissed her off... I told my kids from day one there was no such thing as Santa...

How dare you be honest with your child... *sarcasm*

People never cease to amaze me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• sounds like my mother! we didn't believe for a long time, we just kept pretending we did to make her happy.
    how does she suggest you stop the 5 year old from saying anything to the 13 year old?
    Anonymous

• I think 5 year old is a little young to be told. Especially because his class mates are probably still believing. Thirteen is a little old to believe.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This is exactly what my sister did the other day that really made me angry! My husband and I are very pro-Santa and our kids believe he's real. My sister, who grew up whole-heartedly believing, mind you, announced in front of my 3 kids that she wasn't "doing" Santa for her son. She immediately realized her screw up but my oldest heard her say it. I was really really really ticked off.
    Anyways, it's not fair for one child to ruin Santa for other kids simply because their parent doesn't choose to go along with the fantasy. I'm on the side of psycho step-mom on this one.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I suppose that your decision to tell your child at 5yo that Santa is pretend was your business. However, you should respect that other people enjoy the pretend part of Christmas with their children and it is not really your place (or your child's) to ruin it for them. You should probably talk to your 5yr and explain that not everyone knows and it is not her place to tell everyone or your step-mom will be the first of many parents that contact you about this.

Honestly, I miss the days when kids believed in Santa. I know it is not real, but it is a fun tradition that many people enjoy. I think it is kind of rude of you to want to ruin it for everyone just because you don't believe. The same rude as people walking up and saying Jesus is not real and the bible is just a story to someone who only belives that part

Not everyone believes the same things and at Christmas we should be especially be taught to respect it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 4:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I told my kids I was santa and they are 7 and younger
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 4:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I completely agree with Niki sd.....it's fine to tell your child whatever you want. however you should have also taught your child that plenty of people still believe. I believed at 13....until I caught my mom. So 13 isn't to old.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We never did the whole Santa thing when I was a kid; my parents explained about it and why other kids believed it etc, but we never got presents "from Santa" or got told that Santa would bring us things if we were good. DH's family does the whole thing; they even do it for the adults- that was odd the first time I did Christmas with them lol. We're going to use the same approach my parents did with our kids; not push it (that will be an issue later with the IL's I know) and explain where the idea of Santa comes from, and that he is not real, but some kids believe he is and that's ok for them, we just don't do it that way, etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I completely agree with you
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 8:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010