Would this alter your opinion on Marijuana legalization?

(CNN) -- Former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders told CNN Sunday she supports legalizing marijuana.

The trend-setting state of California is voting next month on a ballot initiative to legalize pot, also known as Proposition 19. The measure would legalize recreational use in the state, though federal officials have said they would continue to enforce drug laws in California if the initiative is approved.

"What I think is horrible about all of this, is that we criminalize young people. And we use so many of our excellent resources ... for things that aren't really causing any problems," said Elders. "It's not a toxic substance."

Supporters of California's Prop. 19 say it would raise revenue and cut the cost of enforcement, while opponents point to drug's harmful side-effects.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter, obtained by CNN Friday, that federal agents would continue to enforce federal marijua

Friday

Asked by Friday at 4:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am all for it, always have been always will be...

Answer by older at 4:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I say legalize it, but enforce laws that will help people use it safelly instead of wrecklessly. Just as if they were enforcing alcohol laws. I don't have a problem with people using weed, as long as they're responsible about it and don't do anything stupid.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I personally think it's the dumbest thing a person can do, but am for legalization for more reasons then I could possibly post here and more reasons then I imagine anyone would bother reading.
    Anonymous

• Agree with older. I think cigarettes are more harmful in many ways. I won't smoke it but I think the people that do should stop getting in trouble for it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I say legalize it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Legalize it and tax the hell out of it for education!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Legalize! I mean seriously, there are only benefits.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 4:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I already voted in favor. let the state make some money and free up prison space for true criminals. Alcohol was illegal at one time too.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have always been and always will be pro-legalization.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• People are afraid to legalize it because it IS a drug. Doctors are afraid to legalize it because it could actually put them out of business with pharmacies. If you allow cancer patients and anyone else with a serious problem or illness, weed will help more than any prescription drug and that will hurt pharmecutical companies. They don't want to lose your money. That's the bottom line of why they don't want it legal.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010