Is it a hate crime to have a life-like replica of Sarah Palin hanging by a noose?

In West Los Angeles, California a resident has made it part of his Halloween decorations to have a life-like doll that is dressed up to look like Sarah Palin hanging from a noose as well as a replica of John McCain sticking out of the chimney with red flames all around...do you consider this to be a hate crime ...any comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know if it's a crime per se, but it's definitely hateful. My point of view is this... what if the person had chosen to depict Obama and Biden in the same way? Would that be seen as hateful as well? I think more people would be demanding that it be taken down immediately if it was the other way around. It's sad, but that's the world that we live in.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Absolutely!! What if it were Obama hanging like that???? I know for sure what would happen!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 2:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't know if it would be considered a Hate Crime, but it's wrong on so many levels..and I can't stand the woman!
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 2:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• No. It's no worse than some of the costumes of "my youth" (I'm 50) that were of President Nixon and others. They may be in poor taste, but I don't think it qualifies as a "hate crime". People need to lighten up. Obviously if someone really had it in for a person, they wouldn't advertise it would they? (example....the KKK does not advertise in advance)
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It's not a hate crime because it's not on the basis of race, gender, religion or sexual preference. It's still hateful and tasteless but it's not a crime.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 2:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• So if it were just nooses hanging from a tree without no images it would be perceived as a hate crime, and I'm sure if it were a life-like figure of Obama it would be considered a hate-crime just because he is black....but since it's a figure of Sarah Palin who is a white woman it's not considered a hate-crime...Yep...just like I thought....HYPOCRISY!
    Anonymous

• I agree; I don't think that by legal definition it's considered a hate crime, but I do think it's done in very poor taste.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 2:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• EireLas- It's no worse than some of the costumes of "my youth" (I'm 50) that were of President Nixon and others.

WHAT?!?!?! If that were OBAMA hanging, every liberal Politician, the ACLU, you name it would be HAVING A FIELD DAY. Crying Racism... Liberals are so FULL of Double Standards you all are PATHETIC. You only CARE when it applied to you
    Anonymous

• Why would it not be a hate crime because she is a WHITE woman?? That is like hanging a noose in your yard. Another prime example how a hate crime can only be considered it if is against a Black person.
    Anonymous

• Abso ... flippin ... lootly!!!! If Obama was hanging from a tree and Biden in the chimney, what on earth would you think would happen? The NAACP, would be all over it like flies on poo!!!! Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton would already be at their house protesting and demanding a removal of the whole scene!!!!!!! Hypocracy at it's finest!! Okay for anything against the white race, NOT against the black....or okay for anything against women!!!!!!!
    Anonymous