did you refuse/delcine or were unable to drink that orange glucose beverage when pregnant?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I refused the test the last 2 pregnancies.  That drink makes me so ill and then it screws my blood sugar all up.  I'm hypoglycemic and drinking that amount of sugar screws it all up.  I failed the 1 hour test the 2nd and 3rd pregnancies and had to do the 3 hour one.  All 4 times I got voilently ill and it took all my concentration not to throw the stuff up (because I would have to redo the test).  The last one I had to ask to lie down because I was so sick I couldn't see straight.  And then about 5 minutes after failing the 1hr tests I almost passed out because my blood sugar bottomed out and that happened around the 1 1/2 hour mark with the 3 hour tests.  I was so dizzy and disorientated I was walking into walls.

I hate that test with a passion and flat out refused to do it with my 4yo and 3mo.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It took me three different times to drink it because i kept throwing it up. I would never decline it because i do it for me and my baby.

mpactem

Answer by mpactem at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• wow...i must have a good stomach. i don't remember it tasting that awful...super sweet and thick, but it didn't make me nauseous.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I too managed to keep it down long enough for the blood to be drawn. Oh man is it awful though, wish they had other flavors.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i threw it up every time no matter wat flavor they gave me so they were unable to do the test so i just had to check my blood pressure everyday. it was a pain. just thinking about that drink makes me want to gag! eww!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I didn't have to. My midwife does not use that method. I ate a meal and 2 hours later had my glucose checked. It was fine then and the two other times it has been checked. I personally don't see how drinking all of that glucose is healthy.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i just did it today for the fifth time ( 5 kids) and now 4 hors later I am sick as a dog, and have a headache
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I thought it was delicious.

I'm not kidding. I've always had a major sweet tooth.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I never had a problem with it. My midwife always suggested pouring it over ice. I would just suck it straight down. Didn't taste any different than regular orange pop to me.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I didnt think it tasted awful at all. It was really sweet and had a thick texture to it. I just chugged it down as fast as I could and had no problems holding it down, but I also never had an issues with morning sickness.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010