Why do so many people hold on to checks for so long??

While the moneys there cash the check. i wrote a check for avon and my rent 3-4 weeks ago and neither one of the checks has been cashed yet. I dont understand it..

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I hate that. Although I am guilty of hanging on to checks. I don't have a local bank and it takes up to a week for a check I mail to get deposited into the bank. So if somebody is sending me a check from out of state...it can take a few weeks before it comes out of their bank.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No idea. If I'm given a check that sucker is going into my account that day or the next at the very latest. It annoys me when I write a check and the money isn't taken out promptly. I understand there are reasons for this sometimes, and as far as I'm concerned, it's gone. I just like the visual confirmation.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The person who wrote the check should deduct that amount from their register, so the money should always be there. Some people hold on to checks and take them all once or twice per month to the bank.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i knoooooow i hate that too..i used to do that with one of my jobs, that way it seemed like i was making more money..LOL..but with personal cheques i always cash them in, or deposit them right away
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• If you have balanced your check book. It should not matter if they did not cash it yet. You know the money in the bank is for bills.. You can always call the people who you gave the checks to and ask why they have not cashed them. My water company does that to.

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I do not go to the bank as soon as I get a check.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I sell Avon. I usually wait until I have payment from all of my customers before going to the bank.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• For me if I hold on to a check it's because I simply don't have a chance to get to the bank... It's not like they are convenient to get to... Although I know what you're saying, it drives me nuts too... My landlady actually held checks for 3 months and then cashed them all at once...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Some people don't like to go to the bank very often or the misplace the check from what I've seen.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I usually hold on to them for about a week because I don't want to appear desperate. Ha. I know that's lame and I probably think too much. But our landlord started cashing our checks the moment we sent them and it made me worried that he was desperate for money and struggling. He problem wasn't... but I often watch for things like that.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010