my 4 yr old hates to eat meat.he only eats pasta,eggs,nuggets,and veggies. am i giving him enough nutrition?

huntersmom74

Asked by huntersmom74 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I imagine if you are giving him a nice variety of food, and find some food rich in protein. You might try this site http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=284&id=2238 I don't know what all you have tried but maybe you could get some chicken and dice it into small pieces and add it to his pasta with sauce. Good Luck hun I wish I could have been more help!
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My son is the same. He'll ocassionally eat protein (eggs or chicken) so I got a can of protein powder (Vanilla or strawberry flavored) and stir it in the boiling water before I make his oatmeal. You can also add it to ice cream. Egss are good, but try cheese or any kind of beans (even pork n beans are protein) Also, tofu is a possibility. You can mix the soft tofu into some yogurt, make a veggie dip from it or use it to make a shake by adding fruit and milk in the blender or to use the firm tofu you can slice it up and put any spices he might like in it or stir fry it with his veggies. These are just a few things I have done. It makes me feel better that he's getting nutrition
    and there's no fuss because he just think he's eating something yummy. hehehe
    tripsmom1

Answer by tripsmom1 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• give himsauces to dip meat in like ranch or bbq or steak sauce.....kids LOVE dipping....my son is 8 and and he still reminds me if i forget to give him sauce
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Eggs and chicken nuggets ARE meat. Milk products (like cheese) also have protein in them.
    I think it sounds like he's eating fairly well. Just keep offering new foods and don't make a fuss if he refuses to try them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• meats not a big deal try giving him potatoes that has protin and give him drinks like smoothing like make them with organic foods or give him soybeans and stuff like that
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• There are a lot of young children brought up totally vegitarian, some even vegan.
    There are a lot of ways for them to get the protein they need. Maybe read some vegitarian diet books to find out what veggies pack the most protein. You can also sneak meat into things if you are really worried and want him to eat meat. Make a lot of pasta sauces and pack them full of veggies with meat in it, stews and soups will work great for this too ( not to mention with stews and soups you do not lose any of the good things in the meat and veggies. Unlike steaming them or something where a lot of the nutrients is cooked out of it with soups it all stays in the broth or sauce.
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 11:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• my son has been Vegan since birth and is one of the healthiest, least sick, and tallest kids his age. Meat is a secondary source of nutrients- that cow or chicken only has iron/calcium/protien because of the veggies that it ate while it was alive. In fact, meat and dairy were an occasional food item for most of human history, until the meat and dairy industry basically took over, and fund ad campaigns in schools and health care centers that promote *surprise* regular meat and dairy for good health.

If he eats nuts, beans, veggies of all colors, and grains like rice and oatmeal, he will not be lacking in any of the nutrients he needs, especially not protein. And he'll be at less rick for obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes than most of his peers.

You're lucky!
    lissalou828

Answer by lissalou828 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Proteins are found naturally in all plant products. As long as he eats lots of variety, including beans, seeds, nuts, and grains, his body will have all of the elements needed to form complete proteins. Just make sure the pasta is whole grain, and he eats as much FRESH veggies and fruit as possible.
    My2RiverRascals

Answer by My2RiverRascals at 1:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My daughter hated meat until the age of 4. It wasn't that she didn't like the taste; she just refused to eat it. She wasn't gaining any weight and I would try everything possible. I gave her pediasure at least 2 times a day. I was even taking her to a nutritionist. She had a select menu that she stuck to. Well what happened was that she had issues with food that took too long to chew. It turned out that her tonsils were so big for her throat that they were "SQUISHING" her Uvula (I think that's the spelling, the dangly thing in the back of your throat). She didn't have enough space to swallow larger pieces of food and some food (especially meat) just took too long to chew before it was small enough to swallow. There was never any pain so she didn't complain she just stuck to foods that were softer and easy to swallow. Your son's menu reminded me of this. Lotsa pasta, nuggets, soup, oatmeal etc. Just a little food for thought
    Fairies4Addie

Answer by Fairies4Addie at 11:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2008