I want to write my dad a letter telling him how proud I am of him what do I say in it?

It is easier for me to say my feelings on paper than in person, not sure why that is just the way that I am. Anyway my moms DH adopted me when I was about 3-5 years of age and since I knowen him he has been an alcoholic. Well he had a scare 2 years ago he was in the hospital he stopped drinking for about a month then went back. Well he went to the hospital over the summer to get whatever you call it to help him quiet because if he did it on his own the doctor said would be really bad since he has done it so long. Well he did it and he has been sobber now for 5 or 6 months that is the longest so far since I knowen him. What happened was I called him before he went to tell him I loved him and everything. I have a sister and brother through him and my mom. I asked him if he doesn't do this for anyone else will you do it at least for me? He said I can do that. The thing is he doesn't get any ingoragment from my mom CONT..

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I would just tell him that you recognize his efforts and are really proud of the work he has been doing. You understand he still has a long road ahead of him but each day he is one step further from his past and is making a new history with the family. Tell him you are here if he needs any support and your continue to root for him everyday.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Just say this: I just wanted to let you know how proud I am that you stayed sober for 6 months, I always knew you were strong enough to do this and now I have proof. It fills my heart to know that you are on your way to being the man I always knew you could be without the influence of alcohol. Please don't ever go back there, we need you to be around a lot longer and this habit will only kill you, we love you and we all feel so proud of the progress you have made, think about how we feel about you right now and let this be an incentive to continue your recovery.I am so proud that you can do this for me dad, I love you!

Answer by older at 4:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• from my mom or anyone else and Ijust want to ingorage him a little so that he doesn't go back to drinking. What can I say to him?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Very good Older! I like that!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Then you sould write and let him know you are proud of him. my bubbie also had a drinking problem. He been clean for almost 2 yrs. I let him know Im proud of him all the time
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010