Do you believe in completely baby proofing your house?

Do you believe in completely baby proofing your house or just the safety issues such as sockets?
Why or why not?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 4:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's possible. lol
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No, I don't care if somebody does but I didn't. I never left my baby unattended. If they were on the floor...I was on the floor. If I went to the bathroom...they went to the bathroom. I didn't even protect the light sockets except in their bedroom.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Nope, not really. Most of our outlets have stoppers in them, but that's it. We tried to get the things for the cabenet doors, but the only one they stopped from getting in was mom... lol I always saw all that stuff as just a waste of money!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:39 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No. We used gates a lot to keep her out of areas that were too hard to baby proof. Outlet covers were the main thing, plus some of the cabinet locks in the kitchen and door handle covers to outside.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• IDK, I guess it depends on the kid and the house. I have outlet covers in all the exposed outlets, I put gates up in front of the stairs and the fireplace and we have cabinet latches on most of the cabinets. I didn't have bumpers on the wall and table corners, and my son hit his head a thousand times on the corner of the table. I didn't do refrigerator or oven or toilet locks or anything like that. But the harder you try to keep everything inaccessable to them, the harder they're going to try to get into everything.
    valorie59

Answer by valorie59 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have the obviously dangerous stuff taken care of and covered, but our house isn't 100% babyproof. However...my son is never without my supervision, so he's fine. I'm paying attention to him and aware of what he's doing at all times.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• nope I never evenput things out of reach. my kids and grand kids learned you don't play with glass stuff on ANYBODY"S tables not just mama's things
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Good I'm not the only one then. Because I have outlets covered and cleaners up in top cabinets but that is it. I feel like if I baby proof too much she won't learn not to touch stuff she just won't be able to.
    BigfordBrat

Comment by BigfordBrat (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• As much as I can then I do. But I age proof it. I put in the safety plugs for all electrical outlets, especially since my four year old is interested in electricity. I make sure to put medications up high. While he hates medicine I won't risk it. Same for household cleaning supplies he may decide to taste. I am careful about curtain blinds since windows are his height. Knives up and microwave unplugged. Only after he nuked some popcorn on his own while dad was in the bathroom . I love the willingness to be independent but some things re an issue of development and age appropriateness. Yes he can nuke popcorn but he doesn't understand burning to long or not to put silverware in the microwave. It is a matter of constantly keeping up with hat he can do vs what he needs supervision for.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We kind of watched what our son got into, and went from there. He was never into the toilet, so we didn't lock it. We did get cabinet locks and socket protector things (not the plug in ones, but one that you have to twist to plug something in), and we got a gate to keep him out of the cat food. We wanted him to learn etiquette of how to handle fragile things, and not to touch things that aren't his. He's not perfect, but he's a very gentle kid, and understands (with some reminding) not to touch things that aren't his. We can take him to other peoples' houses and stores without being mortified or apologizing for the things he breaks because their home isn't baby-proofed. We were more concerned with the safety stuff, and we watch him for the breaking-things-we want-to-keep stuff.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2010