What learning skills should a 15 month old girl know besides walking and saying a few words all ready/

loves to give me books everyday to read to her, but she grabs them right from me. I can never get 3 words out with out my daughter pulling book away from me.. She plays with all her dollies and watches nick jr. Is it a good time to teach her body parts yet like eyes, ears and nose? I tell her the abc's everyday. I say entire alphabet everyday...

Tomboy42484

Asked by Tomboy42484 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all turn the TV off.

Does she share anything? Like food, toys, etc?

Can she walk? Does she know where things go? Like, cup to the milk, or how to close the safety latch on the dishwasher? Does she know how to close baby gates and doors? Can she pet animals? Does she know what the bathroom is for?

How sociable is she? How often does she get interaction with other kids her age?
    Anonymous

• I'm doing body parts, colors, simple objects/animals. We do alphabet and counting. Also mine will pick up her own toys after playing and when her sippy cup dribbles on the floor she'll clean up the spill if I give her a napkin.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• walks yes. we are always home. im a stay at home mommy so i watch her 24-7... Shares sometimes>She watches nick jr a lot and plays with her toys only.. Can put a cap on a bottle top.. Knows when i say where is the ball.. will find it and give it to me.. Have not taught her colors or body parts yet.. We have no animals..
    Tomboy42484

Comment by Tomboy42484 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• What your daughter knows all depends on what you teach her. There is no age minimum as to when she should start learning things. I started singing the ABC's to my children the day they were born. Started counting using my fingers shortly after that. My two year old can count to five and say most of his alphabet by memory. All because I started early. We're now starting on body parts and I'm always using descriptive words when showing him pictures or objects. You should start teaching your child things as early as possible. They might not respond to it right away or be able to return it, but they'll get it in their head pretty quick.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm not trying to bash but please please please turn off the tv....it is the worst thing for your child under 2. It doesn't matter if she is watching or not. The auditory piece is actually worse than the visual. It iterupt their thinking, creativity and learning processing. I'm a SAHM and I feel your pain but I never had the tv on when my child was awake. I also started reading to my DS from the day he was born. Also when I'd walk up and down the stairs with him I'd count. He knew all his body parts by 16 months. Not verbally but if I asked where they were he would show me. I agree with the earlier you start the more they will know more quickly. If you have stairs put a number on each stair and count as you go up and down. I will be totally honest I didn't once discuss ABS with my son until he was 20 months. Even then we just talked about what we saw on signs etc. Never did I do worksheets etc. cont
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• cont. as an educator I'm a firm believer in reading and allot of talking..dont' just read talk about the pictures..what do you see, colors, anima sounds etc. This said my DS was speaking full sentences, knew his letters (upper and lower case) and sounds, colors, shapes, count to 20 by the age of 2. Is my kid a genius or super smart? NO WAY..just read..it's that simple..I promise.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Just keep speaking with her and showing her everything. they are so curious at that age and want to know and touch so much stuff. i say keep the tv on. nothing wrong with the tv. have fun and enjoy everyday is a learning experience for children.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Every child develops differently and there is nothing wrong with you child if she doesn't behave like other kids her age. My daughter didn't want to walk until she was 16 mo old but the day she started she was running by the end of the day. My daugher didn't want me to read to her either for the most part. She's now in kindergarden, wants me to read to her a bit but now she wants to read on her own and she's almost there :)) You can watch what interests her instead of forcing to do something she doesn't want. Maybe ask her to read to you and tell her to describe what the pictures tell. My daughter loved for her to tell me what the story is even though she didn't even know the alphabet yet.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 9:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010