Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle a possible "bullying" at my daughters new middle school?

I am not sure how to handle this, really. I don't want to go forward and contact the school until find out more information.
So far, I am thinking that it's just being in a new school, new city, being the "new" kid on the block. She has come home several times to tell me that a few kids were telling her she had a big nose.
Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated:-)

SunnieStyles

Asked by SunnieStyles at 4:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Talk to their parents, maybe even the kids and do your best to get them to stop.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Thank you for the suggestion.
    SunnieStyles

Comment by SunnieStyles (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Well Im assuming in middle school in a new town you dont know the parents and it is a part of life. It is very wrong but you calling parents will probably make the sitation worse. I think you have to work with your daughter to find a good group of friends to hook up with. Once she has something positive to counteract the jerks it wont be as bad. Can she join extra curricular activites or somehow make friends at the school? It sux she is going thru this!! Just keep talking to her about it and make sure it doesnt get worse. You can even call the school and find out some recommendations for some friends and see if they will encourage the girls to buddy her for a week and show her around.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You know where I am coming from! I just needed to hear someone else tell me that I am doing the right thing. I don't want to call the school YET unless I know FOR SURE there is really a problem. I did call her school counselor who told me they are going to assign her a "buddy" (she doesn't know them) who is in the 8th grade. My daughter wasn't very happy about it either. She is going to a "Teen Volunteer For The Day" this Saturday which is a community volunteer thing..(She was chosen by her all of her teachers.) She isn't happy about this either, LOL. Yes, she is very shy and has a hard time making new friends. All of your input is REALLY appreciated! I am trying hard to do the right thing for her. But, as a mom you know how hard it is!
    SunnieStyles

Comment by SunnieStyles (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would tell your daughter that bullies thrive on reaction and tell her to ignore them and they will eventually go away. Also monitor the situation just to make sure they do not get out of hand.

Answer by older at 5:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would tell your daughter that bullies thrive on reaction and tell her to ignore them and they will eventually go away.

Sorry, but that never fucking works. Ignoring them doesn't work. They'll just keep at it until they do react and sometimes the reaction is fatal. So that is possibly the worst advice ever. Don't stoop to their level either, learn to rise above it but don't ignore it. If you show them you're afraid they'll keep doing it, but if you show them that whatever they say has no meaning what-so-ever than they'll eventually stop.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• but if you show them that whatever they say has no meaning what-so-ever than they'll eventually stop.

This is the same as ignoring them!

Answer by older at 5:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree with you. I am trying to bring that point home daily. We watched 20/20 together the other night & the topic was about bullying. It was so scary to see what "could" happen.She was right there with me and seemed to learn a lot by hearing why bullies do what they do.
    I am watching, listening, learning all I can so my daughter won't have to suffer. If I have to react by going to the school, I will go. If I have to go to the each teacher, parent, I will do it.
    SunnieStyles

Comment by SunnieStyles (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2010