Vitamins?

What are your thoughts on vitamins for toddlers? What type(multi, omega,vitamin D) and brand/style(liquid,gummy,chewable)?

Olive2smile

Asked by Olive2smile at 4:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We do Flintstones chewable's. I did not like the gummy. they got stuck in there teeth and got hard fast.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't mean to be snarky/rude but I have always thought that unless your kiddo has a medical need for them, like a verifiable deficiency in something, they're just taking the easy way out.

plus 99% of the gummis and things these days are filled with nasty fillers, sugars, corn syrup, etc.... and gummis are TERRIBLE for kids teeth, vitamins or not.

there's no capsule healthier than a plate of salmon, spinach salad, walnuts and an apple w/ a glass of milk.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Flintstone Complete, doesn't that have aspartame?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son is 13 months old and we give him the Poly-Vi-Sol multi; it's a liquid vitamin. His diet used to be real varied and super healthy however now that he has learned the word no and and is refusing to open his mouth for certain foods I can't be sure he is getting everything he needs to I supplement with vitamins on the advice of his pediatrician.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We use Poly Vi Sol as well. He was an awesome eater his first year, and now he is in a very picky stage. We started using it because he was borderline anemic at his 2 yr check up (although he was fine when they tested again 4 wks later). It gives him a little extra iron for those days that he's too picky, plus a few other vitamins and minerals. I also give him a fish oil supplement (also a liquid), but not every day. I also sneak a lot of veggies into things he's willing to eat, so that helps too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We also use the Poly-Vi-Sol but with iron..my DS was anemic..so we put him on that. I will say if you are looking for healthy chewable or gummy vit with no crap in it go to whole foods..they have a ton.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Most over the counter vitamins out there are made with fillers. Best is to have a good diet with natural vitamins like fruits, veggies, grains... etc.. but if you want to give your child vitamins I would stay away from the gummy like stuff. Use kids vitamins that look like adult vitamins but test them. Disolve one in water. Most don't even disolve so your kid will just pass them without extracting anything from it. If the vitamin disolves completely than most likely your kid will absorb it too.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 9:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We've tried gummies, but my son prefers the chewables. We get the Trader Joe's kind.

And why do people assume that vitamin-givers don't also serve their kids nutritious food? I think of it as vitamins that I take myself. I eat healthily, but what's wrong with a little boost?
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010