Do you think maijuana should be legalized?

I have mixed feelings about this issue. I don't smoke, and don't ever plan to, however from what I have heard about marijuana, it is less addictive and less dangerous than alcohol. Also, there are so many violent criminals out there, that it seems like a waste of jail space to lock up people just for smoking pot.

On the other side of the coin, many people say that marijuana is a gateway drug that can lead to other more dangerous drugs. I am curious to find out how other people feel about this issue.

4boysmom32

Asked by 4boysmom32 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It should be legalised. The prosecution of marijuana crimes takes up too much time of police and courts when it's essentially in the same category as alcohol and cigarettes.

As for it being a "gateway drug" I think the only reason that it might be so is because once you know where to buy illegal marijuana you know where to get other illegal substances and you've got the contacts.

The thing's a weed. You should be able to grow a pot for your own personal use. I've never smoked it myself, and I don't plan to, but I think the fact that it's illegal is silly.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 2:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Everything is a gateway to something else. It's called excuses. In my state (MA) they're pushing for it to be okay to have one ounce or less on you...no crime, no jail time, etc. In RI it is now okay to have it for medical reasons. However you can't grow it yourself and it has to be grown by a with certain stipulations attached.
    Although it is proclaimed to be "safer" than alcohol, on many levels...it has a mind altering effect that would prohibit a user from doing certain jobs.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I can't say that I've actually taken a position on this yet. I think it's got a lot of medicinal benefits that people could certainly take advantage of responsibly. I voted in favor of a measure in our state that would reduce the penalty for possession under 1oz. because I don't think (for such a small amount) people should be slapped with a criminal penalty.

Otherwise, I have to say that I'm torn as well.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 2:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Just like I would not want to be driving around someone who has been drinking. I would NOT want to drive around someone that has been smoking pot. They are not in their right minds after smoking. Plus who knows what it may have been laced with,

I have known some people that were chronic users and to put it nicely they were dumber than fenceposts.

I have known people that smoke on a regular basis and could function just as if they were straight.

You never know which kind of person you will be on pot - so why do it.
    And I have the same thoughts about alochol.
    If you want to use it (pot or alcohol) then be responsible enough to not endanger everyone else. Stay home.

Anonymous

• There is probably a very good reason why it has been illegal for so many years, so why change it now....I have never smoked it myself but have a son who has tried it and has chosen not to smoke it anymore...when I saw my son (who was around 16 at the time) in a stupor I thought immediately there is nothing good that can come out of a drug if it puts you into a situation where you cannot even control yourself. ABUSE and DEATHS are the two reasons I see for not making it legal...do we really want people to have easy access to a drug that is going to compromise their duties as productive citizens in this country? Who drive our public transportation buses, etc.? Who make decisions for us in Washington?...lets get real on this issue!
    Anonymous

• I love marijuana! If it was legal I would be smoking that instead of drinking alcohol. I am a non-smoker and never smoked a cigarette in my life. But if I want to go out and have fun and socialize, weed treats me wayyyy better than a few drinks. I know there would be many less bar fights since we would all be at peace and get along man!

I believe that it has great uses medically (I am a nurse) and have seen patients suffer on high doses of narcotics that make them ill and really loopy. Marijuana would cut pain AND prevent nausea also it does not make you loopy. Just a little more calm and loving.

With my professional and family life I can no longer take the chance. So I really hope that it is legalized sometime during my lifetime.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes! I have seen so many really sick people who smoke it and they seem like they feel a whole lot better afterwards!! I mainly hear of alocohol car wrecksk but how many times do you hear about someone who killed 4 or 5 peple involeved in a car crash because they smoked a weed that God put here on earth? I think it would be of great value to the sick here and to the ones with cancer!!!!
    Anonymous

• As a nurse, I have seen "pot" help people with cancer be able to keep food down (but this is "pot" in the oral/pill form...not smoking). It is less addictive than nicotine and doesn't cause lung cancer (like nicotine). However, I have seen people who have come into the ER after smoking "pot" and they are kind of dazed out. I don't think it should be allowed before driving or using heavy machinery (just like sedatives). I think it should be offered only by prescription. If the government is going to allow cigarettes when they KNOW it causes cancer, addiction, and pollutes the air of children (and I have seen MANY children in the ER with respiratory issues because their parents smoke in front of them)...then I believe marijuana should be legal as well (it is less deadly than cigarettes or alcohol).
    shespott

Answer by shespott at 3:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think it should be legal and treated the same as alcohol. Minimum age, taxes, and consumption/driving laws that are equal to the drinking and driving laws.

The gateway excuse is a load of crap.I haven't smoked it since I was a teen. I never did anything other than pot and drinking.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Alcohol is legal, it is taxed and there are laws against drinking and driving. Most places where you buy alcohol are not places to get "other, worse drugs". There were once laws outlawing the consumption of alcohol too. EVERY objection that you can put up against marijuana can be put up against alcohol. If one is legal, both should be legal, or both should be outlawed.
    In addition as the nurse stated, marijuana is an herb that has legitimate, medical uses. Alcohol may have some, but I can't think of any at the moment, can you?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008