If you could travel back in time...

Would you take anything back with you (a cellphone, a newspaper article, some books, pictures, etc) to show someone what the future holds? Would you warn someone of an impending disaster to save their life or to try to avert it? Would you tell a frustrated couple battling infertility that their efforts will pay off?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Warn someone of an impending disaster? You bet! My mom and 4 y/o brother died in a car accident on September 15, 1978 when I was 11 years old and in school. That is a day that ruined my life forever and I guarantee you that I would have brought back the newspaper clipping of the accident to show to her in order to stop her from getting in the car that day.
    Also, knowing what I know now....I would have started insisting upon seatbelt safety back then....they might have survived if they had been wearing one.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No. I would not change anything for anyone else. Sense it sounds like I would be the same age I am not. I would not want to go back in time. Sense I would not be able to change anything in my life. Because I would not listen to myself.

Answer by louise2 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No, because I don't think it would be good. People could be scared of what's to come or might want to try to make things happen too fast. That would change up everything, and how do you know you would even have a time to return to afterwards?
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 5:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would take my cell, but it wouldn't work I would think. I wouldn't warn anyone about anything. Not for me to do so, they need to experience their lives.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hey everyone, not trying to be the depressing one, but watch the movie "Frequency".
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 2:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• PrydferthMenyw: I can understand that. I would probably do the same thing.

wenona_mandy: Saw it a few years ago. Was very interesting!

From my perspective, I probably wouldn't try to change too much. Major disasters, such as the sinking of the Titanic, wouldn't change. Changes in safety protocol, etc, would not have taken place had 1500 people not lost their lives. But 9/11... nothing good came out of that (like with the Titanic--enough lifeboats/jackets for all passengers, etc). Yeah, the airline industry became stricter, but it also led to a war, the largest national debt we've ever had (correct me if I'm wrong) and a recession that may take years to recover from. Not to mention all the lives that were lost (both in the attacks and the war). So yes, I think I would try to stop it if I could. IfI couldn't stop that, then maybe slap some sense into a former president before he decides to declare war in the first place.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010